Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evil genius contest

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While thinking about DARPA's [Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency] latest effort to develop remote controlled insects

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114720

it struck me that remote controlled insects could make effective weapons in certain cicumstances. For example, imagine that a unit could "deploy" thousands of wasps, steer them over the the enemy, signal them to attack, and then call them back. Or, one wasp might be loaded with a nerve agent and then used to assasinate a particular person. And as stated in the original article, the idea that insects might be used as listening devices, for bomb detection, and I would imagine even for search and rescue, is a very provacative.

So, what else might we do with remote controlled insects? And, if we can do it with insects, might this work with larger animals as well; and what then?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Put a bomb on them and send 5 butterflys up to a hostage taker (or 25 to 5 hostage takers) and BOOM! Who needs a SWAT team when you have butterflies!

4. Mar 20, 2006 #3
    Google beat DARPA to it by several years. They replaced all their employees with remote-controlled spiders. Very fast at typing.

5. Mar 20, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

that google....

6. Mar 20, 2006 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

I think you could use ants for anything. I would take over the world with ants. Modify them with my acme brainwashing fluid, and they will bite everyone in the world and they will all be under my power MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...deep breath... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Mar 20, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ivan don't give these guys ideas. :rolleyes:

Actually the US military has thought of using insects to spread certain virulent and fatal diseases (stuff like ebola) in populated areas.

But then that might prompt the other side to do the same.

8. Mar 20, 2006 #7
    If I had my way with insects:

-Hippies will be fed to remote controlled driver ants
    -Animal right protestors will have their houses invaded by bears attacked by remote controlled wasps, which in turn (the bear) will rip the protestor apart. Poetic justice at its best.
    -Thousands of locusts will be controlled to feed on crops to force vegans and veggies to eat meat.
    -Mosquitos will be given instruction to self destruct

9. Mar 20, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Don't forget the power of 10 million butterfly sneezes!

Most at PF are probably too young to remember.

10. Mar 20, 2006 #9

Evo

No, actually it was pigeons.

"By collecting flocks of pigeons in dense clusters, Google is able to process search queries at speeds superior to traditional search engines, which typically rely on birds of prey, brooding hens or slow-moving waterfowl to do their relevance rankings."

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

"The technology behind Google's great results
    As a Google user, you're familiar with the speed and accuracy of a Google search. How exactly does Google manage to find the right results for every query as quickly as it does? The heart of Google's search technology is PigeonRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University.

Building upon the breakthrough work of B. F. Skinner, Page and Brin reasoned that low cost pigeon clusters (PCs) could be used to compute the relative value of web pages faster than human editors or machine-based algorithms. And while Google has dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of our service on a daily basis, PigeonRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  11. Mar 20, 2006 #10
    This is all very informative. I never knew how much humans could imagine for something so trivial as an insect. Maybe I should spend more time here, it appears as if I am loosing touch with my human nature due to my travels...elsewhere.

12. Mar 20, 2006 #11
    Maybe you could have a bug to take intellgence not a flying bug because there usaually make noise.Probally a small spider those can get in some places and they have 8 eyes.
    Also assainations.Just think about having a leader being bitten by what he thought everday aveage mossiquto and days later and no one will no that was mosiqutio.

13. Mar 20, 2006 #12
    Need I point out how insanely dangerous this is? Apparently so. Releasing these fatal, mutant insects into the wild, even if they are programmed and supposedly controlled, it is a horrible idea. What if and owl eats the mosquito afterwards, what if anything goes wrong? Can you imagine the results of a completely fatal, engineered disease loosed onto the public? Probably not. Just take my word for it, it isn't a pretty sight. :yuck:

14. Mar 20, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are aware that spiders aren't insects, right? Especially those mutant slurping spiders...oh, wait, that's Yahoo.

15. Mar 20, 2006 #14

Evo

But arachnids are good cyborgs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mar 20, 2006 #15
    BTW I have arachnaphobia

17. Mar 20, 2006 #16

Evo

Sorry. :frown:

18. Mar 20, 2006 #17

eax

Then the insects will eventually evolve sooner and take over the human race lol. Then what will we do? equip humans with explosives like insects? Humans are not relyable especially in there mating seasons (Which are unpredictable when it will happen).

19. Mar 20, 2006 #18
    I've been to both heaven and hell, and both have spiders guarding the gates. Get used to them, either way you're going to face them.

20. Mar 20, 2006 #19
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Ok..........I don't think there are in spiders in heaven.There might be in hell(I hope I don't find out) but there probally none in heaven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?