Enter the Evil Genius Contest: Exploring Remote Controlled Insects

In summary, the conversation discusses DARPA's efforts to develop remote controlled insects and the potential uses for such technology. The idea is to insert micro-systems into insects at the pupa stage so they can be controlled later. However, previous experiments with bees and wasps have not been successful due to their instinctive behaviors. The conversation also mentions potential uses for remote controlled insects in warfare, such as deploying them as weapons or using them for surveillance and search and rescue missions. Some participants suggest using larger animals as well. The conversation also touches on the dangers of releasing engineered insects into the wild and the possibility of them evolving and taking over the human race. Some participants express concerns for ethical and safety issues, while others joke about using insects for nef
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While thinking about DARPA's [Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency] latest effort to develop remote controlled insects

...The idea is to insert micro-systems at the pupa stage, when the insects can integrate them into their body, so they can be remotely controlled later.

...Darpa's previous experiments to get bees and wasps to detect the smell of explosives foundered when their "instinctive behaviours for feeding and mating... prevented them from performing reliably", it said.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=114720

it struck me that remote controlled insects could make effective weapons in certain cicumstances. For example, imagine that a unit could "deploy" thousands of wasps, steer them over the the enemy, signal them to attack, and then call them back. Or, one wasp might be loaded with a nerve agent and then used to assasinate a particular person. And as stated in the original article, the idea that insects might be used as listening devices, for bomb detection, and I would imagine even for search and rescue, is a very provacative.

So, what else might we do with remote controlled insects? And, if we can do it with insects, might this work with larger animals as well; and what then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put a bomb on them and send 5 butterflys up to a hostage taker (or 25 to 5 hostage takers) and BOOM! Who needs a SWAT team when you have butterflies!

Google beat DARPA to it by several years. They replaced all their employees with remote-controlled spiders. Very fast at typing.

that google...

I think you could use ants for anything. I would take over the world with ants. Modify them with my acme brainwashing fluid, and they will bite everyone in the world and they will all be under my power MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...deep breath... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ivan Seeking said:
Or, one wasp might be loaded with a nerve agent and then used to assasinate a particular person. And as stated in the original article, the idea that insects might be used as listening devices, for bomb detection, and I would imagine even for search and rescue, is a very provacative.
Ivan don't give these guys ideas. :rolleyes:

Actually the US military has thought of using insects to spread certain virulent and fatal diseases (stuff like ebola) in populated areas.

But then that might prompt the other side to do the same.

If I had my way with insects:

-Hippies will be fed to remote controlled driver ants
-Animal right protestors will have their houses invaded by bears attacked by remote controlled wasps, which in turn (the bear) will rip the protestor apart. Poetic justice at its best.
-Thousands of locusts will be controlled to feed on crops to force vegans and veggies to eat meat.
-Mosquitos will be given instruction to self destruct

Don't forget the power of 10 million butterfly sneezes!

Most at PF are probably too young to remember.

rachmaninoff said:
Google beat DARPA to it by several years. They replaced all their employees with remote-controlled spiders. Very fast at typing.
No, actually it was pigeons.

"By collecting flocks of pigeons in dense clusters, Google is able to process search queries at speeds superior to traditional search engines, which typically rely on birds of prey, brooding hens or slow-moving waterfowl to do their relevance rankings."

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html [Broken]

"The technology behind Google's great results
As a Google user, you're familiar with the speed and accuracy of a Google search. How exactly does Google manage to find the right results for every query as quickly as it does? The heart of Google's search technology is PigeonRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University.

Building upon the breakthrough work of B. F. Skinner, Page and Brin reasoned that low cost pigeon clusters (PCs) could be used to compute the relative value of web pages faster than human editors or machine-based algorithms. And while Google has dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of our service on a daily basis, PigeonRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all very informative. I never knew how much humans could imagine for something so trivial as an insect. Maybe I should spend more time here, it appears as if I am loosing touch with my human nature due to my travels...elsewhere.

Maybe you could have a bug to take intellgence not a flying bug because there usaually make noise.Probally a small spider those can get in some places and they have 8 eyes.
Also assainations.Just think about having a leader being bitten by what he thought everday aveage mossiquto and days later and no one will no that was mosiqutio.

scott1 said:
Maybe you could have a bug to take intellgence not a flying bug because there usaually make noise.Probally a small spider those can get in some places and they have 8 eyes.
Also assainations.Just think about having a leader being bitten by what he thought everday aveage mossiquto and days later and no one will no that was mosiqutio.
Need I point out how insanely dangerous this is? Apparently so. Releasing these fatal, mutant insects into the wild, even if they are programmed and supposedly controlled, it is a horrible idea. What if and owl eats the mosquito afterwards, what if anything goes wrong? Can you imagine the results of a completely fatal, engineered disease loosed onto the public? Probably not. Just take my word for it, it isn't a pretty sight. :yuck:

rachmaninoff said:
You are aware that spiders aren't insects, right? Especially those mutant slurping spiders...oh, wait, that's Yahoo.

But arachnids are good cyborgs.

phryotrichusroseus8ut.jpg

nephilamaculata7zk.jpg

BTW I have arachnaphobia

scott1 said:
BTW I have arachnaphobia
Sorry. :frown:

Then the insects will eventually evolve sooner and take over the human race lol. Then what will we do? equip humans with explosives like insects? Humans are not relyable especially in there mating seasons (Which are unpredictable when it will happen).

scott1 said:
BTW I have arachnaphobia
I've been to both heaven and hell, and both have spiders guarding the gates. Get used to them, either way you're going to face them.

franzbear! said:
I've been to both heaven and hell, and both have spiders guarding the gates. Get used to them, either way you're going to face them.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Ok...I don't think there are in spiders in heaven.There might be in hell(I hope I don't find out) but there probally none in heaven.

1. What is the purpose of the Evil Genius Contest?

The Evil Genius Contest is a competition designed to challenge scientists and engineers to develop remote controlled insects for use in various fields such as medicine, agriculture, and surveillance.

2. How will the remote controlled insects be controlled?

The remote controlled insects will be equipped with microelectronics and sensors that allow them to be controlled by a remote device or computer through the use of radio signals.

3. What types of insects can be used in the contest?

The contest is open to any type of insect that can be remotely controlled, however, some of the most commonly used insects include beetles, moths, and cockroaches.

4. What are the potential applications for remote controlled insects?

Remote controlled insects have a wide range of potential applications, including search and rescue operations, crop pollination, and disease detection in plants and animals.

5. How will the winning entry be selected?

The winning entry will be selected based on its innovation, practicality, and potential impact in the chosen application. A panel of judges will evaluate each entry and determine the winner based on these criteria.

Back