Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evil little Girl Scouts!

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tonight on ABC news they did a spot on Girl Scout cookies. The basic objection is that the Scouts are promoting and contributing to bad health.

I say Girl Scout frozen broccoli!!!

Seriously though, aren't we getting a bit fanatical here? Is it the position of the medical community that classic cookies are so unhealthy that we should NEVER have a cookie or two [or ten].

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

A cookie or two is about right. I was just given a box of the "Old Fashioned Shortbread" cookies. Let's see now...saturated fat is 1.5 grams, and sugars are 5 grams, for a total of 130 calories, plus 17 grams of carbs...per serving size of...ONE cookie. I'm outraged, and am rationing myself to one cookie a week (the box will go stale before I can finish the danged things).

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, I was going to start a thread in jest about Girl Scout cookies. The problem is that you get them all at once! And they taste so good, I can't stop once I open a box! :grumpy: Well, last year when I got them, I did limit myself to 2 or 3 thin mints as dessert, but this year I got the peanut butter ones, and couldn't stop at 2 or 3! But that's certainly not the fault of the Girl Scouts. And now that the two boxes of peanut butter cookies I bought are all gone, I just won't be buying cookies again for another year (I bake my own the rest of the year).

That's okay, what the Girl Scouts make me gain in weight, the Boy Scouts make me lose...they sell mulch, and I work off way more than two boxes of cookies getting the mulch from my driveway to all my flower beds in a weekend. :biggrin: They should combine their sales efforts; guilt-free cookies, just buy mulch too!

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4
    Ooooh, ya, i remember being a girlscout. My sister and i were both scouts, and we used to sell door to door around our block. We always used to fight over the erm... heavier... people. One woman, every year, would buy like at least a case of cookies. One year, i went to her place, and she ordered like 11 boxes of cookies. Accidently though, i lost my order sheet, so i had to go back around the neighborhood, and get everyone's orders all over again, UGH. So i went back to that woman's house, and this time her family was there. She ordered over 20 boxes!

Most people only ordered a few boxes, but there were definetly people who bought WAY too many, (not that i ever minded, just meant more camping trips for me!) We just got ours last weekend... and i'm pretty sure there won't be any left for me to bring back to college next week... :uhh:

6. Mar 18, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Though, they do freeze well, so if you're really well-disciplined, you can stick a bunch of boxes in the freezer and eat them later.

It was funny this year. I didn't even know who I ordered my cookies from. The order form was left in our break-room/kitchen area, and I just signed up for cookies on it, but didn't recognize the name on it. It was our new IT guy's daughter (must be a blended family since she didn't have the same last name). Eh, I knew it was someone working in my building. Last year I ordered them from a neighborhood kid and she was slower at delivering them than the people at work, so I was watching the other folks eating their cookies for a week or two before I got mine. :grumpy:

7. Mar 18, 2005 #6
    My parents always tell me that back when they were kids, what we call a small drink at the restaurant was considered a normal sized drink back then. Today we all seem to think that a lot is better than a little. I know I would have eaten the whole box of peanut butter cookies. I feel the same way as the guy in the last post. It is only our choosing. The problem is the liberal media likes to blame everybody else except for the person who is at fault.

8. Mar 18, 2005 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My daughter... the pusher... How were those Somoas Ivan?

One of my co worker refused to buy any.. Said they made him sick... he wasn't sure if it is was the 2nd or 3rd box that did it.

9. Mar 18, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what keeps me in control with Thin Mints. If I ate a whole box of those, I'd definitely be sick (yes, I know this from experience...darn evil cookies). :tongue2:

10. Mar 18, 2005 #9
    Isn't that all that come in the box anymore? :biggrin:

11. Mar 18, 2005 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

I'll take a few boxes of those frozen broccoli cookies, please. :biggrin:

12. Mar 19, 2005 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Brussels Sprouts, or Carrot with Parsnip?

Acutally I like the Somoas and Thin Mints - but sparingly.

I have to eat my cruciferous veggies first. :biggrin:

13. Mar 19, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I polished off three boxes. :tongue2: After I came out of the diabetic coma I felt great!

Does anyone remember Yum Yums? They were kind of like a Somoa stick.

14. Mar 19, 2005 #13

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If girl scout cookies were ever abolished, I am sure there would be as much outrage and illegal cookie dealing as there was during prohibition. The mafia would definitely be involved.

15. Mar 19, 2005 #14

Mk

What are Samoas made of? The only ones I like are the ones with the carmel and coconut and chocolate, with cookie underneath... those things are awesome. I limit myself to one column, per session of eating.

16. Mar 19, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are the ones. Mmmmmmm.

17. Mar 19, 2005 #16
    I was good..but learned a sad lesson. I thought getting the lower fat/carb ones would be alright..there like lemon puffy things. Now that I have them, I wonder what the heck was I thinking? I don't even like lemon flavor! I want some "real" GS cookies!!!!

18. Mar 19, 2005 #17
    Cookies aren't good, but I think they contribute more to your mental health than they detract from your physical health (to a point)

Besides, I'm a 17 year old boy, I can eat a few hundred boxes a day and it won't ever show.

19. Mar 19, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

A what year-old boy? I've had naps longer than that.

20. Mar 19, 2005 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

You just had to tell me that, didn't you? :eek:

21. Mar 19, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?