Evo Child's Pneumonia: A Parents Story

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo
In summary, Evo child is not doing well and is being treated for pneumonia. I have been hospitalized with the infection and have prayed for her. I think chicken soup and vaporizers might make a small difference.
You guys are the best. :!)

Can someone come over and give me a shoulder rub?

I'm going to get her some little surprises to cheer her up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Can someone come over and give me a shoulder rub?
Maybe you can get HRW's cute cable guy to do that. :!)

Moonbear said:
Maybe you can get HRW's cute cable guy to do that. :!)
Oh shoot, that reminds me, I've got to call the cable guy, for real, my cable is messed up.

Evo said:
Oh shoot, that reminds me, I've got to call the cable guy, for real, my cable is messed up.
Well, maybe you'll get a cute cable guy too. :wink: That would be a nice silver lining to a bad day.

Ooh, is this cool, or what? This is a computer.

Attachments

• holographic computer.jpg
    holographic computer.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 413
Evo said:
I took off early yesterday to be with her and I'm taking off early today also, I just HAVE TO get this done first.
Do the best you can do.

Evo said:
She's ok, she's feeling worse because her nose is stuffed up, I think it's allergies. Allergies on top of pneumonia, poor kid. :frown:
Use nasal drops/spray. Don't use antihistamine (medication) because that is counter-productive to the pneumonia. She needs an expectorant to keep the stuff in her lungs loose, and she needs to get the junk out.

In a case like this, I use my extra hot hotsauce, but I don't recommend it for anyone else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Evo said:

Wow, cool keyboard. :rolleyes: How about this, project the keyboard onto your back and dictate to the cable guy what he needs to type in. You'll get both a backrub and finish your work at the same time.:bugeye: :wink:

DocToxyn said:
Wow, cool keyboard. :rolleyes: How about this, project the keyboard onto your back and dictate to the cable guy what he needs to type in. You'll get both a backrub and finish your work at the same time.:bugeye: :wink:
Oh, the places you could project the keyboard. :blushing:

DocToxyn said:
I agree, really cool computer...and wow! Good plan for getting the backrub from the cable guy. Oh, and yes, if he goes along with it, you should tip him generously. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Oh, the places you could project the keyboard. :blushing:
Hee hee...I used to joke with the one guy I used to date that I wondered which would win out when it came to his attention, me or the computer, if I visited while he was working on the computer (actually, I know I always won out, but he'd tease that it was sometimes a tough call). That keyboard would have been the ultimate solution! :rofl:

Aww, some cute boy just drove the Evo Child over to my office for a few minutes. It's a beautiful day out and he took her to get something to eat and drink. He's going to set up her computer and build her a new computer desk.

Ok, at least she has a caretaker until I get there.

Evo said:
That's straight out of Star Trek, The Next Generation. Someone told me about those last year and I could hardly believe it.

Evo said:
Aww, some cute boy just drove the Evo Child over to my office for a few minutes. It's a beautiful day out and he took her to get something to eat and drink. He's going to set up her computer and build her a new computer desk.

Ok, at least she has a caretaker until I get there.

If he's not gay, get his name, phone number, his parents' name and address, and make the wedding plans right away!

:)

Zz.

I hope that the Evochilde will be well soon and you have a cute cable guy come to your house!

That computer reminds me of a cheesy movie called The First $20 Million Is Always The Hardest. The main characters had to make a computer that could be sold for only $99 dollars a piece. The achieved this by integrating everything into a single piece of hardware which utilized a holographic display (way out side of reality here ofcourse) as both monitor and keyboard. Lacking room for a big enough harddrive for a small enough price they decided that they would just make it so that the computer would connect to the net and all of the information and software it needed (aside from an OS) it would get from there and it would save files there aswell. The only problem I saw with that was the necessity for internet and server access really makes it cost more than $99.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The only problem I saw with that was the necessity for internet and server access really makes it cost more than $99.
I guess you don't know about WebTv. It's about $149 for the equipment now, but when it first came out, it was about $99. Sony, RCA, and a couple other companies got into it. You get a modem thingy and a keyboard, and use your TV as the monitor. The monthly fee for the ISP is about $25.

The main drawback is that the screen image quality is poor compared to a computer. The beauty of it is amazing simplicity compared to a computer. I was, and continue to be, horrified, at the complexity I encounter having switched to a real computer. With WebTv it's impossible to get a virus or crash your system. They take care of all that in the mothership to which you link.

Zooby said:
The monthly fee for the ISP is about $25.
That's what I meant. The idea of the project was to make a computer for under $100 dollars so that the majority of people would then be able to afford to have a computer. If your computer won't work without you paying a monthly fee then it really costs more than the $99 dollars you paid for it. Just a technicality really since the reason for everyone having a computer would more or less be so that they can all have internet access. Unless all they want to do is keep files and play solitaire anyway.

ZapperZ said:
If he's not gay, get his name, phone number, his parents' name and address, and make the wedding plans right away!

:)

Zz.
:rofl: I agree! Don't let her let this one get away! That's so sweet. :smile:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I agree! Don't let her let this one get away! That's so sweet. :smile:

Don't be fooled too quickly.

Remember, being nice for two weeks is a small price to pay to get laid.

I would remain skeptical for atleast 3 months. That's the deal breaker timeline.

JasonRox said:
I'm sure that being treated like a princess for a couple weeks is a small price for getting laid too.

JasonRox said:
Don't be fooled too quickly.

I would remain skeptical for atleast 3 months. That's the deal breaker timeline.
Yeah, but it's a lot easier to be nice when someone is healthy than it is to stick around and help them out when they're sick and miserable. If he was just interested in getting laid, he could have just sent flowers or a teddy bear and kept his distance, but he's actually venturing to the sick room, shuttling her around...even to see her mom...getting her food; all of that is really sweet, and shows a really good character. Heck, that's halfway to the altar already, to still find someone attractive when they are sick and miserable. :biggrin:

So how is our little one this morning? Hopefully much better.

And how is mom?

Thats terrible. I had pneumonia when I was in second grade and had to go to the hospital for a couple of days. Hope it doesn't come to that with her.

Evo said:
She's decided to attend KU this year, it's only an hour away. Her dad was expecting her to attend Dartmouth, his alma mater. Oh well. KU does have a good medical school.
Go Jayhawks! :smile: KU has a lot of good schools. E.g. their physics dept. is pretty good; so's their math; as far as I remember.

Here's wishing the child a speedy recovery. Herbal tea with lemon & honey can ease a congestion. Expectorant and antibiotics are how I got over mine as a child.

(I forgot the "rock, chalk" part. Was it, "rock, chalk, Jayhawk"? Yeah, I guess that was it.)

Last edited:
I've been meaning to update.

The Evo Child has gotten worse. :frown: She's going back Monday for more tests. :cry:

On no! Tell her to stop that. :grumpy: :cry:

Really? I thought you wanted to tell us she's ok now!:frown:
wish her luck!

Evo said:
I've been meaning to update.

The Evo Child has gotten worse. :frown: She's going back Monday for more tests. :cry:
I am very sorry to hear that! :frown:

If she's coughing up yellow, brown, green or pink colored phlegm, I wouldn't wait until Monday - I'd call the doctor's office and insist they see her today. She might need antibiotics if she has a secondary infection. One concern might be pleurisy, or inflammation of the pleura (not that that is necessarily the case).

Make sure she takes a cough medicine with expectorant so that she can bring up the stuff in her lungs, and keep her hydrated.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that she's not getting better. Hopefully this time they'll get her onto proper medication and get her over it quickly. Send her my get well wishes!

I hope you take her into the hospital if she's not getting any better. Monday seems such a long time away...

Zz.

What is worrying me is that she doesn't have any lung congestion, I think the doctor misdiagnosed her. Her lungs hurt and breathing is very painful and she is having trouble getting enough air. I tried getting her into the doctor Friday because the school nurse called me and they were worried and wanted her to go back to the doctor. She was supposed to drive right over to the doctor (about 3 minutes from her school), instead I got a message from her, she had gone home and gone to bed instead. :mad:

She said if it gets really bad, she'll go to the emergency room. :devil: :devil:

Evo said:
What is worrying me is that she doesn't have any lung congestion, I think the doctor misdiagnosed her. Her lungs hurt and breathing is very painful and she is having trouble getting enough air. I tried getting her into the doctor Friday because the school nurse called me and they were worried and wanted her to go back to the doctor. She was supposed to drive right over to the doctor (about 3 minutes from her school), instead I got a message from her, she had gone home and gone to bed instead. :mad:

She said if it gets really bad, she'll go to the emergency room. :devil: :devil:
Sounds like she might have pleurisy, but not sure. Call the doctor's office or emergency service and find out if you should take her to hospital - 36 to 48 hrs is too long to wait! Especially if her lungs hurt when breathing. She's been sick for too long.

Does she have a fever?

And if she has or has had pneumonia, why is she at school!?

Trouble getting air is worrisome!

Try a different doctor!

Last edited:
Evo said:

Oh no... no, no, no, no, no...

If it gets really bad, it has gone past the get-to-the-hospital stage. I am worried. With all the symptoms that you are describing it, I would drag her to the emergency room right away.

Zz.

hope she gets better soon. Now back to that keyboard. If you were to shine that keyboard onto your body I would type, "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." to get started then I would probably type "nunujkmi nunu fcrddfdjni omomkind d d d d d d d d d d ddddddddddddddddDDDDDDD Dk d"

My brother is a doctor, so I asked him about this. He said that your daughter needs to have a chest xray, has this been done? If it has, then she's probably getting the right care. If that hasn't been done, then...why not?

No doubt she's a tough kid, but if necessary, modern medicine can successfully treat most pneumonias (or other pulmonary maladies) with a short hospital stay. What once was a critical illness (like my mother had single lung pneumonia in 1933, before antibiotics) is now commonly overcome with oral or intravenous treatment. Whatever the case, I hope she recovers quickly and safely.