Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evol Teriyaki Chicken

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I suppose this might qualify as a "product claim", considering that it is based on what's on the box.

Before we go any further, let's clarify something. I'm not naive enough to expect a food product to look exactly like what's in the box. I've bought enough stuff to know that they often don't. However, I do expect to receive roughly what was advertized, and there should be some resemblance of it. Otherwise, the package is severely misleading or outright wrong.

That's what happened here. I bought a rather expensive frozen meal that is all natural (no preservatives), gluten free (not that I have a problem with gluten), and with low fat and low calories, y'know, trying to make sure I eat properly when I am in a rush and don't have time to cook for myself.

The product is by a company called Evol Foods, and it is their Teriyaki Chicken. The box shows large pieces of broccoli, snow peaks, carrots, bell peppers on a bed of brown rice, drizzled with teriyaki sauce. It looks vibrant and fresh.

eynz.jpg

When you open the package and microwave it as instructed, this is what you get!

fgjc.jpg

And here's the comparison between the box and the actual product.

6fv5.jpg

I'm sorry, but the actual product looks like dog food! It is overcooked, it looks icky and depressing! There were a few small pieces of broccoli, almost all of them no bigger than the size of my fingernail! There was also hardly any teriyaki sauce on it (look at the photo). In other words, there was nothing vibrant and appetizing at all about this thing, and it does not resemble, even remotely, the photo on the box.

This was the first time I bought the product from this company, and needless to say, it was the last. And some of you who know me know that I don't just get mad, I also get even. I've written to the company to complain about what I got for what I paid for. I'm waiting to hear from them before I send the photos to Consumer Reports for their Goofs, Glitches, and Gotchas section.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

bad evo!!!!!

4. Apr 18, 2014 #3
    Did you eat it?

It looks absolutely vile, and has that awful unhealthy beige tone to it.

I wouldn't even recommend you writing to the company as you'll just receive free products.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. Apr 18, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure if you want free products from the company...

6. Apr 18, 2014 #5
    Ah it was meant to say wouldn't! Will edit now.

7. Apr 18, 2014 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hey, I had no idea these people were selling such a low quality product when I allowed them to cash in one my fame.

Zz, that looks ghastly, I'd consider it fraudulent advertising.

I've had many similar product experiences where the picture on the package constitutes outright fraud, IMO. Marie Calendar's pot pies were shocking, I decided to indulge in one last year, a chicken pot pie, I wrote about it it was so bad. The only resemblance to the picture on the box was that the actual product did have a crust.

8. Apr 18, 2014 #7

Evo

Wow, found a lot of bad reviews of this evol brand food.

9. Apr 18, 2014 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I ate half of it, and threw out the rest. It didn't taste bad, but it was really bland (not enough teriyaki sauce), and the veggies were mushy, which is the worst thing you can do to vegetables. I prefer them raw than overcooked.

I wrote to them, as is my standard practice when I complain about a product, or to a restaurant, I will refuse any complimentary offers, because I believe my complaint has more credibility when I refuse such freebies. I complained not to get free stuff, but rather I felt that I wasn't getting what I thought I should, or I didn't get what I felt was worth the money I paid for. In this case, it was both.

Zz.

10. Apr 18, 2014 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe I should have checked first before I bought it, but I was browsing the freezer isle at the local supermarket and thought I'd give it a try. Luckily, I only bought one to test.

I much prefer the frozen food I get at Trader Joe's.

Zz.

11. Apr 18, 2014 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trader Joe's is good, I agree. I also like Amy's (Light & Lean Spinach Lasagna or Palak Paneer are my favorites) and Kashi (Lemongrass Coconut Chicken or Chicken Pasta Pomodoro -pretty good!).

12. Apr 19, 2014 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I buy Amy's Indian foods and both Kashi's frozen meals regularly. So I'm very familiar with those already. I should have just stuck to those.

In any case, I received a response from the company:

I have replied to this one and told them that it has nothing to do with trying to get exactly what's on the package. I have bought plenty of frozen meals from Trader Joe's and Kashi, and they all don't look exactly like the package. But in this case, the disparity was just too much! And this time, since it was via e-mail, I attached these photos for them to look for themselves.

I wanted to say, but I didn't, that I'd like to see them take what I got, and "stylize" them to resemble close to what they got in the package! See if they can find more than just one stalk of broccoli in the meal, or a non-overcooked snow peas as vibrant as the one on the package. They can take as much time as they want to stylize what I got, and it will still not be anywhere close to the picture on the package!

I also told them not to send me any coupons. I won't be buying their products anymore.

Zz.

13. Apr 19, 2014 #12

Evo

I can't wait for them to see the pictures! I wonder if they will still respond "it did take some time to arrange the cheese pieces perfectly". Oh PULEASE.

14. Apr 19, 2014 #13

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wouldn't feed that to our dog, but I'd probably eat it myself. It's certainly not evident that there is broccoli in that dish.

Generally, I've experienced insubstantial amounts of vegetables in such dishes. If they advertise some special vegetables like snap peas, asparagus or the like, there is very little of those in the meal.

I've found it easier to by the ingredients, e.g., diced chicken, baby corn, carrots, beans, broccoli florets, etc, and my the dish myself.

15. Apr 19, 2014 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I paid a visit to the almighty Google, and found the following:

http://evolfoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/MultiServe_TeriyakiChicken.jpg

and

[URL]http://dogchow.s3.amazonaws.com/product/DogChow_End.jpg.[/URL]

Any similarities in packaging are, I'm sure, purely coincidental.

I also found this [URL="http://lifeisbumpy.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/evol-foods-teriyaki-chicken-bowl/"]blog[/URL], where there are pictures that look a lot more recognizable as actual food than what Zz posted. I wonder if the company was bought out.

Amusing fact: they use only "non-GMO chickens". I assume that means only wild red junglefowl, as 7000 years of selecting breeding and hybridization has certainly modified the chicken's genome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  16. Apr 19, 2014 #15

Evo

Yes, the company was purchased a year after that blog to a company known as Boulder brands. It seems the food has gone downhill.

17. Apr 19, 2014 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks horrible! Don't buy prefab meals that you can't see the contents of!

Can't you buy a package of frozen cut veggies? That way you always have something in the freezer for instant healthy meals.

18. Apr 19, 2014 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To the dogs, perhaps?

19. Apr 19, 2014 #18

Evo

:rofl:

20. Apr 19, 2014 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I normally have fresh vegetables at home, and frozen peas/green beans. Most of the time, I don't eat frozen dinner such as this because I tend to cook and prepare fresh meals. But when I'm in a hurry, I tend to go for these frozen meals. I've had good success with Kashi and Trader Joe's, and I happened to see this teriyaki chicken while browsing the freezer aisle. So I thought I'd try it.

I just didn't know that the content looked nowhere near what was advertised on the box.

Zz.

21. Apr 19, 2014 #20

Evo

That chicken looked like roadkill.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook