Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolution - it's only a theory

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mississippi lawmakers are proposing a disclaimer on textbooks discussing evolution

"This textbook discusses evolution, a controversial theory some scientists present as a scientific explanation for the origin of living things. No one was present when life first appeared on earth. Therefore, any statement about life's origins should be considered a theory,"

http://www.christianpost.com/Educat...mer-proposed-for-miss-textbooks-20/index.html

Perhaps this reasonable approach and should be extended to other areas ?

This electrical substation outlet contains 17KV electricity - however this is only a theory and no one has ever seen an electron so you should use your faith to decide if whether to touch.

Gravity is only a theory and elements are refuted by general relativity so you should decide if you need a safety railing on this bridge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2
    Human intelligence is also just a theory.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can measure both electric potential and the force due to what we call gravity.

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They could have been created by God though - so assuming you will conduct/fall because a theory says so is a lack of faith.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    I don't get it. He was using Irony.

7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The examples given don't apply...just an observation.

8. Jan 22, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't need faith to feel an electrical shock. Or are you suggesting that God is manipulating my voltmeter? If God is a trickster, that could be true. :biggrin:

We come up with theories to explain observations. But I don't need a theory to make an observation.

9. Jan 22, 2009 #8
    Sure they do. We can (and have) used Evolution to make predictions and then found fossils to verify (and confirm) those predictions.

10. Jan 22, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I said, unlike a theory, electric potential and gravity can be experienced directly.

If we are quibbling about the names - say the notion that something has "17KV of potential" - I don't need to accept that notion in order to receive a shock. And I can repeat the experience any time I like.

11. Jan 22, 2009 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You must have missed mgb_phys' signature. It certainly applied to the OP: "Warning this post may contain irony".

12. Jan 22, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to add an example about no one seeing these alleged germs that cause disease - but judging from the accupuncture, crystal healing, homeopathy etc I suspect this is the majority view!

13. Jan 22, 2009 #12
    You can experience extinction. I think you are abusing the word "theory" here.

14. Jan 22, 2009 #13

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Sigh.

What will it take for people to finally understand just how badly the "just a theory" argument fails?

15. Jan 22, 2009 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What nonsense.

Keep an open mind to crackpot theories that only have Christian Scripture as a jumping off point?

16. Jan 22, 2009 #15
    Do they still teach that hypothesis<Theory<Law<Tribdog crap?

17. Jan 22, 2009 #16
    I disagree. Tribdog >>> hypothesis >>> Theory >>> Law

18. Jan 22, 2009 #17
    The proposed disclaimer seems pretty reasonable...

19. Jan 22, 2009 #18
    In what way?

20. Jan 23, 2009 #19
    as long as those are "greater than" symbols I have no problem with it

21. Jan 23, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Damn you! I have been happily disease-free for several years, and now you drag those fictional "germs" back into my life. If I get the flu this winter, I'm going to hunt you down like a dog.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?