Evolution - it's only a theory

In summary, the Mississippi lawmakers are proposing a disclaimer on textbooks discussing evolution, noting that no one was present when life first appeared on earth. Therefore, any statement about life's origins should be considered a theory.
Emanresu56 said:
But you have claimed that science cannot explain everything, in which case, how are you going to come to an explanation, if you desire an explanation? I think science, if it can't explain everything now, is our best chance at explaining everything later. But, perhaps, there will always be insufficient data. I think these are very metaphysical statements in themselves, however.
Agreed. Science is amazing but Full explanation of reality and existence is extremely unlikely. We don't even stand a good chance for surviving as species for thousands of years, IMO.

Physics news on Phys.org
WaveJumper said:
We cannot explain everything, not ever.
WaveJumper said:
Why do people always seem to be attracted to extremes?
Yes why do they?
You seem to contradict yourself here.I don't understand how can you make that statement with absolute certainty.In the time that humans have lived on this planet, their methods of acquiring knowledge have continuously developed.In the last couple of centuries the rate of development has been so high that it has become extremely hard predict what will come next, How do you know with absolute certainty that we will never be able to explain everything we want.Also maybe some scientist think that we will never be able to explain everything, But then again some of the brightest people in physics are doing serious work on theories that are motivated partly by the belief that everything can be ultimately known and explained.

I see that you are extremely certain of yourself. Can you explain some of these statements.

WaveJumper said:
Reality and existence are paradoxical, without a creator the existence of reality is even more paradoxical.
How? Why?

bp_psy said:
Yes why do they?
You seem to contradict yourself here.I don't understand how can you make that statement with absolute certainty.
Didn't you read post 303? In case you have not, here it is pasted:

"We are within what we are trying to describe. We can never know for certain if all that could exist lies within the universe. We can only assume it on various grounds but it is by no means 100% certain and it's a severe limitation. If we don't know this, how can we know what existence really is? We can't know if we have free will too, we assume we do, but that's also untestable."
In the time that humans have lived on this planet, their methods of acquiring knowledge have continuously developed.In the last couple of centuries the rate of development has been so high that it has become extremely hard predict what will come next, How do you know with absolute certainty that we will never be able to explain everything we want.Also maybe some scientist think that we will never be able to explain everything, But then again some of the brightest people in physics are doing serious work on theories that are motivated partly by the belief that everything can be ultimately known and explained.
Same as above. Even if we describe the visible and obvious, this is no guarantee that this is All that exists. We have to assume it and reach the conclusion that there is no creator/god. It's a large leap of faith, and i hate religious beliefs, even if they are athesistic.
I see that you are extremely certain of yourself. Can you explain some of these statements.

How? Why?
Scientific knowledge is tentative. This forum is a nice place to learn that. Scientific knowledge isn't the best argument against god and it's a misuse and abuse of science.(though science can more or less disprove certain religious types of gods - christian, islamic, etc.)

Locked pending moderation.

It would be a good idea if all members take a moment to read the PF global guidelines.