What causes the release of ammonia in organic compounds?

In summary: Well I don't have much of a idea on how much strong the base has to be in order to abstract a proton from NH4+Think this way: when two bases compete for a proton, which one will win - the stronger one, or the weaker one?the stronger one
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I have given a number of compounds and asked which of them liberate ammonia when rected with NH4Cl( see the attachment for the complete question)
Relevant Equations
no equations probably
I don't really have any idea how to approach this, but the answer says that it is the compounds which are more basic than ammonia liberate it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid It is all in the reaction equations.

First things first: can you write reaction equation for NH4Cl with NaOH? While NaOH is not present on the list, it is exactly type of the reaction that is important here.

Likes sysprog
Borek said:
I am afraid It is all in the reaction equations.

First things first: can you write reaction equation for NH4Cl with NaOH? While NaOH is not present on the list, it is exactly type of the reaction that is important here.

Well the reaction is NH4Cl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O + NH3

But what has NaOH to do with it?

Gourab_chill said:
Well the reaction is NH4Cl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O + NH3

But what has NaOH to do with it?
It's for illustrational purposes, and you seem to me to have grasped the concept, without realizing that @Borek's point was for you to grasp the concept.

Now that you know what is the idea behind, can you think which of the substances listed will react with the NH4Cl to produce ammonia?

Borek said:
Now that you know what is the idea behind, can you think which of the substances listed will react with the NH4Cl to produce ammonia?

I would guess NaNH2 as Nh2- is a stong base like NaOH?
I'm not quite sure - i cannot understand the basic idea behind this question.

Is the NaNH2 the only base between the substances given?

How strong has the base be to steal H+ from NH4+?

No except urea all the other are bases, some strong and some weak.
Well I don't have much of a idea on how much strong the base has to be in order to abstract a proton from NH4+

Think this way: when two bases compete for a proton, which one will win - the stronger one, or the weaker one?

the stronger one but how should I know which one is strong enough to react?

That's what the question is about - and the only sure way to check is to look in the tables. There are some general rules though saying what to expect from different nitrogen atoms in different functional groups. My bet is that your textbook should contain them, if not, try to google for Ka tables of organic compounds (sorry, can't be more specific at the moment).

1. What is the role of ammonia in cases of evolution?

Ammonia plays a crucial role in the process of evolution as it is a key component in the nitrogen cycle, which is essential for the growth and development of living organisms. It is also a building block for amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, which are necessary for the formation of new genetic material and the development of new traits.

2. How does ammonia contribute to the adaptation of species?

Ammonia is a source of nitrogen, which is an essential nutrient for plants and animals. Through the process of nitrogen fixation, bacteria convert atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia, making it available for plants to use. This allows for the growth of plants, which are a food source for other organisms, leading to the development of new traits and adaptations in species.

3. What is the relationship between ammonia and natural selection?

Ammonia is a key component in the nitrogen cycle, which is crucial for the survival of living organisms. As organisms compete for resources, those with advantageous traits, such as the ability to efficiently use ammonia, are more likely to survive and pass on their genes to the next generation. This process of natural selection leads to the evolution of species over time.

4. Can the evolution of ammonia have negative effects on the environment?

While ammonia is essential for the growth and development of living organisms, excessive levels of ammonia can have detrimental effects on the environment. High levels of ammonia can lead to eutrophication, which is the overgrowth of algae and other aquatic plants, causing harm to aquatic ecosystems. It can also contribute to air pollution and acid rain. Therefore, it is important to regulate ammonia levels to maintain a healthy balance in the environment.

5. How has the evolution of ammonia been impacted by human activities?

Human activities, such as the use of fertilizers and industrial processes, have significantly increased the amount of ammonia in the environment. This has led to changes in the nitrogen cycle and has had a significant impact on the evolution of species. For example, some plants have evolved to become more efficient at using ammonia, while others have developed adaptations to tolerate high levels of ammonia in the soil. However, human activities have also caused negative effects on the environment, as mentioned in the previous question.