Evolution of Life: Exploring Probable Pathways

In summary: I don't claim that; I'm saying that it's statistically unlikely. That's a very different assertion!I believe that the panspermia hypothesis is a more plausible explanation for the origin of life than any of the other proposed theories. It presupposes that life can be spread through space, but there is still much to be learned about how life can originate on other planets.I agree that the panspermia hypothesis is a more plausible explanation, but it's not the only one! There are a lot of competing theories out there, and until we find evidence that one of them is definitely correct, it's hard to say which one is.So, what's your opinion?I think
sage
how did life evolve out of inanimate organic molecules is a question that has vexed scientists for decades now and no consensus has yet emerged on the issue. however there are many competing theories including RNA world hypothesis, khauffman's models and a bizarre proposition of an initial evolution of proto life from clays. curious to learn what you yourself think as probable pathways by which life could have evolved, whether it is a rare event in the history of our universe or can happen often under right conditions.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi sage, very good question!

[nitpick]The origin of life is more in the arena of abiogenesis than evolution; the latter's domain of applicability starts once there is life![/nitpick]

While there is no shortage of rich brews of organics in early solar systems (and other places) - formed by increasingly well understood physical processes - so the opportunities for life to get started seem to be many, how often it did start independently has become even more difficult to determine! Why? Because it's also becoming clearer that a) there's quite a lot of material which is exchanged between planets and proto-planets (within a solar system, and maybe between star systems), b) some forms of life could easily survive a transfer from one planet to another (deep inside a rock, for example), so c) it may be that once life starts (arrives?) in a (proto-) solar system, it will likely spread to all habitable planets and moons, and maybe aborting independent beginnings.

but neried what do you think is the most likely way that life originated. I've heard about panspermia hypothesis, but that simply shifts the question to some other place in the universe.also i believe that one should look into that alternative last when it is established that there is no way that life could have abiogeneted on earth.i believe it is too early to say that. there are many ecosystems that we had hardly studied. not much is known of abyssal ecosystems , nor about subtarranean ones deep within the crust.anyway given that we do know what we do how do you think life could have originated here or anywhere on this universe. perhaps we can have a poll on this!

[joke]I believe that the whole universe is actually an escaped über-virus, from a 128-dimensional computer game, and that carbon-based life merely an epiphenomenon, inevitable given the mutated code of the 128,1289-dimensional nature of the über-virus! :wink:[/joke]

Seriously, the exciting thing is that we are beginning to be able to find some answers to these sorts of questions, and even formulate tentative hypotheses. The sad thing is that I'll be long gone before even halfway decent answers will be found :cry:

So, what's to be done? Well, why not develop in-principle tests? examine implications of hypotheses to see if there are other ways to test them? check consistency with well-established theories? Plenty of work for aspiring astrobiologists! :approve: :biggrin:

I like your joke. :D

And I'm just an observer BTW, just trying to be more wise. :)

As if the odds were not long enough...

OK, there is strong evidence that nearly all life on Earth originated from a single progenitor, and that is the encoding of amino acids from nucleotides. In mRNA, a nucleotide can contain one of the 4 bases A,C,G, or U, and nucleotides triple up to form a codon, which codes for a specific amino acid in a ribosome. A codon can assume one of 43=64 states, but there are only 20 amino acids, so many of the amino acids are coded for by several of the 64 values. The fact that the exact mapping from codon states to the same amino acids in virtually all life strongly suggests a common progenitor.

Now here is where things get dicey, in my opinion:

The mapping could have been anything, but it wasn't. It so happens that the redundancies in the coding significantly lower the chances of a harmful mutation occurring. It is arranged so the 3rd nucleotide in the group of 3 is highly tolerant of a mutation. It is statistically unlikely to have happened by chance.

There's 21 amino acids- you forgot selenocystine. And three codons are 'stop' codons. But yes, there is redundancy in the 3-nucleotide code generating amino acids. Some amino acids, like methionine and tryptophan, are only encoded by a single 3-nucleotide sequence, while others like serine and leucine are encoded by 6 sequences. I don't know if the number of different coding sequences corresponds to any functional assay, like frequency of occurence.

Why do you claim that the coding of 3-nucleotide sequences to amino acids is statistically unlikey to have happened by chance, when neither survival nor reproduction occur by chance alone?

KAckermann said:
The mapping could have been anything, but it wasn't. It so happens that the redundancies in the coding significantly lower the chances of a harmful mutation occurring. It is arranged so the 3rd nucleotide in the group of 3 is highly tolerant of a mutation. It is statistically unlikely to have happened by chance.

Well, keep in mind that the only reason there is a 3-base codon is based on the structure of the transfer-RNA. It matches up with 3 nucleotide bases and 1 amino acid. It does wind up working out that way that a SNP many times will result in no difference in amino acid, but that has more to do with the t-RNA than it does any sort of genome regulation.

1. What is the theory of evolution?

The theory of evolution is a scientific explanation for the diversity of life on Earth. It proposes that all living organisms share a common ancestor and have gradually changed over time through the processes of natural selection, genetic mutation, and genetic drift.

2. How does natural selection drive evolution?

Natural selection is the process by which organisms with favorable traits are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing those traits on to their offspring. Over time, this can lead to changes in the genetic makeup of a population, resulting in the evolution of new species.

3. What evidence supports the theory of evolution?

There is a wide range of evidence supporting the theory of evolution, including the fossil record, comparative anatomy and embryology, biogeography, and genetic evidence. These pieces of evidence all point to the fact that species have changed and diversified over time.

4. Can evolution occur without natural selection?

While natural selection is a major driving force of evolution, it is not the only one. Other mechanisms such as genetic drift and sexual selection can also lead to changes in a population's genetic makeup and the evolution of new species.

5. How does studying the evolution of life help us understand the present and future of living organisms?

Studying the evolution of life can provide insights into how organisms have adapted and changed over time, which can help us predict how they may continue to evolve in the future. It also allows us to better understand the interconnectedness of all living things and how changes in one species can impact others.