Evolution of organisms

rbelli1
Gold Member
The term ancestor itself isn't clearly defined either, it does not always refer to an organism, and can indicate a condition that a living organism had been under.
The word "ancestor" when talking about animals has a very specific meaning. That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Please find a dictionary.

BoB

Likes fedaykin
Pythagorean
Gold Member
It would also be correct to say that chimpanzees are our closest living genetic and physiological relatives.
Actually, there's a bit of a debate whether it's bonobos or chimpanzees.

Likes fedaykin
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Ah, okay. That makes MUCH more sense now. :biggrin:

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Could you elaborate on this?

Well, it may make more sense if you pay attention to the abductive reasoning in later replies made by the original poster then you will see what I was getting at, the information supplied there makes it evident answering it didn't help them.

I don’t believe that a student asking this question has enough knowledge about evolutionary biology and molecular genetics or the significant discrepancies in the many tree-building statistical methods to understand the answer.

Some ugly conditions limiting optimization in tree-building methods: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/277/1683/819

Why are you going to be mean to me but not correct the dozens of inaccuracies in this entire post? THAT makes no sense. I'm minding my own business and suddenly get poked/incited, it's like the 3rd grade again in here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Yes,you do share a common ancestor with a piece of lettuce.That was long ago.but my question is crystal clear.I'm just asking why The fact that "humans evolved from chimps is false" because it is universal truth that all of us have a common ancestor with a particular organism let it be lettuce,monkey or a chimp.So the theory of all of us having a common ancestor is correct.Technically correct.
An example will help.A woman gives birth to a girl.we can say that the girl evolved from that woman.Now the girl has a cousin.Now you can't say that the cousin evolved from the woman.But it can be said that both the girl and her cousin have a common ancestor that is their grand mother.
This is wrong, you don't know what you are talking about and are simply guessing- like too many people. I've been following this for years, Males drive evolution. Female organisms that reproduce solely by sexual reproduction do not drive the evolution of that species- the role is more one of containment. The mutation rates in mtDNA genetic transfer are highly conserved in comparison. You need to learn more about genetics and biology in general... http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/eve.html

There are numerous studies showing that male organisms are responsible for most genetic mutations. You may notice patterns occurring with the information or study that include: downplaying the significance, others only highlighting the negative, studies conducted simply to counter another, or placing information right beside it to counter any emotional responses(textbook). So, since this is still a controversial topic you will encounter different reactions when questioning people about this…

Genetically speaking, mammals are more like their fathers
Males can drive creation of new species, new finding shows
Men Regain Evolutionary Driver's Seat -- Mutation Study Confirms Strong Male-Driven Evolution Among Humans And Apes

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Males drive evolution. Female organisms that reproduce solely by sexual reproduction do not drive the evolution of that species- the role is more one of containment. The mutation rates in mtDNA genetic transfer are highly conserved in comparison.
Males alone do not drive evolution, for a number of reasons. While sperm cells do carry more mutation than egg cells, but evolution is not solely due to mutation. An important part of mutation is selection for beneficial traits. Selection occurs due to the behavior and phenotypes of both males and females (this is the point of the article on sexual selection that you posted. It was previously thought that female mate choice was the driving factor in sexual selection, but the study demonstrated that competition among males in certain populations plays a role as well).

While the first article you posted noted that many traits seem be influenced more by paternal genes than maternal genes, there are certainly cases where maternal genes are more important than paternal genes (due to both imprinting and maternal effect). It may be correct to say that males have more of an effect on evolution (though you would still find opposition to that statement), but to say that females do not drive evolution is clearly incorrect.

Likes fedaykin
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, it may make more sense if you pay attention to the abductive reasoning in later replies made by the original poster then you will see what I was getting at, the information supplied there makes it evident answering it didn't help them.
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. If someone doesn't understand what you meant, it makes little sense to blame them for it except in exceptional circumstances. All I've done is ask you to explain your answers. You yourself even said you should have been clearer, as shown in the quote below:

For sure, I should have made my wording more distinct. I had meant that the statement, "we evolved from chimpanzees", was most certainly incorrect. But the statement "we and chimpanzees have a common ancestor" may be technically correct but doesn't give a person any further information about the nature of evolution- what does it help to believe that?
To which I replied that your argument made much more sense to me. The fact that multiple people were questioning what you said is further evidence that you weren't being clear.

Why are you going to be mean to me but not correct the dozens of inaccuracies in this entire post?
No one is being mean to you. If you can't handle someone asking you questions and to elaborate on your answers, then do not post.

Likes Ophiolite, fedaykin and rbelli1