1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolution Operator

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1

JK423

Gold Member

[SOLVED] Evolution Operator

If U=Exp[-iHt/h] is the evolution operator, and H the hamiltonian one,
    i cant figure out how to derive the following equation.
    Let`s call |E> an eigenstate of H, E it`s eigenvalue and |J> a random basis.
    Then:
    <J|U|E>=Exp[-iEt/h]*<J|E>.

??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    what is that "*" mean? complex conjugate (cc)?? or just multiplication?

Use

[tex]e^{x}=\sum_n x^n/n! [/tex] and [tex] H|E\rangle = E|E\rangle [/tex]

then you can get that equation. I think that "*" is just a multiplication instead of a cc. :smile:

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3

JK423

Gold Member

Ohh it`s just a multiplication!! Sorry for that.. :rolleyes:
    Thanks a lot... I would never have thought of expanding [tex]e^{x}[/tex]!

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4
    It's a very useful trick~try to make good use of it~

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have an operator A and an eigenstate of a with eigenvalue "a" (so A|a> = a |a> ) then any function f(A) which can be Taylor expanded will give

f(A) |a> = f(a) |a>

in other words, applying the function of the operator on an eigenstate gives the function of the eigenvalue.

7. Apr 20, 2008 #6

JK423

Gold Member

Yeah, i just proved it. Very usefull!
    Thanks for ur help!!

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7

JK423

Gold Member

Hello again!
    A minor question came up, and i really dont want to make a new thread for it so i post it here.
    In quantum mechanics, what`s the definition of the "two-level systems"? I understand that the state vector is in the form |Ψ>=a|1>+b|2>, where |1>,|2> is a basis of the state space.
    Then i think of the particle in a box. The energy is quantized (lets say that the possible values are E1 and E2) while position x is continuous. So, in the first case we would have: |Ψ>=a|E1>+b|E2> and in the second one: |Ψ>=Integral(Ψ(x) |x> dx).
    So if we use as a basis the eigenstates of the energy, our system would be a "two-level system". However, in {x} representation, we would have an "infinite-level system".

So what`s the definition of a "two-level system" since the number of levels depend on the basis we use?

*EDIT*: If it`s not permitted to ask irrelevant to the "Evolution Operator" questions, pls let me know so that i`ll make a new thread.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?