Solve Evolution Operator: <J|U|E>=Exp[-iEt/h]*<J|E>??

In summary: Thank you!In quantum mechanics, a two-level system is a system in which the state vector is in the form |Ψ>=a|1>+b|2>, where |1>,|2> is a basis of the state space. In other words, the particle in a box is a two-level system, as is any system in which the energy is quantized and position is continuous.
JK423
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Evolution Operator

If U=Exp[-iHt/h] is the evolution operator, and H the hamiltonian one,
i can't figure out how to derive the following equation.
Let`s call |E> an eigenstate of H, E it`s eigenvalue and |J> a random basis.
Then:
<J|U|E>=Exp[-iEt/h]*<J|E>.

??

Physics news on Phys.org
JK423 said:
If U=Exp[-iHt/h] is the evolution operator, and H the hamiltonian one,
i can't figure out how to derive the following equation.
Let`s call |E> an eigenstate of H, E it`s eigenvalue and |J> a random basis.
Then:
<J|U|E>=Exp[-iEt/h]*<J|E>.

??

what is that "*" mean? complex conjugate (cc)?? or just multiplication?

Use

[tex]e^{x}=\sum_n x^n/n! [/tex] and [tex] H|E\rangle = E|E\rangle [/tex]

then you can get that equation. I think that "*" is just a multiplication instead of a cc. :smile:

Ohh it`s just a multiplication! Sorry for that.. :rolleyes:
Thanks a lot... I would never have thought of expanding [tex]e^{x}[/tex]!

JK423 said:

It's a very useful trick~try to make good use of it~

JK423 said:

If you have an operator A and an eigenstate of a with eigenvalue "a" (so A|a> = a |a> ) then any function f(A) which can be Taylor expanded will give

f(A) |a> = f(a) |a>

in other words, applying the function of the operator on an eigenstate gives the function of the eigenvalue.

nrqed said:
If you have an operator A and an eigenstate of a with eigenvalue "a" (so A|a> = a |a> ) then any function f(A) which can be Taylor expanded will give

f(A) |a> = f(a) |a>

in other words, applying the function of the operator on an eigenstate gives the function of the eigenvalue.

Yeah, i just proved it. Very usefull!
Thanks for ur help!

Hello again!
A minor question came up, and i really don't want to make a new thread for it so i post it here.
In quantum mechanics, what`s the definition of the "two-level systems"? I understand that the state vector is in the form |Ψ>=a|1>+b|2>, where |1>,|2> is a basis of the state space.
Then i think of the particle in a box. The energy is quantized (lets say that the possible values are E1 and E2) while position x is continuous. So, in the first case we would have: |Ψ>=a|E1>+b|E2> and in the second one: |Ψ>=Integral(Ψ(x) |x> dx).
So if we use as a basis the eigenstates of the energy, our system would be a "two-level system". However, in {x} representation, we would have an "infinite-level system".

So what`s the definition of a "two-level system" since the number of levels depend on the basis we use?

*EDIT*: If it`s not permitted to ask irrelevant to the "Evolution Operator" questions, pls let me know so that i`ll make a new thread.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the evolution operator in scientific research?

The evolution operator, denoted as U, is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe how a system changes over time. It is used to calculate the state of a quantum system at a given time, based on its initial state and the Hamiltonian operator. This is essential in studying the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules, and understanding their evolution over time.

2. How is the evolution operator related to the concept of time in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, time is considered to be an operator, rather than a fixed parameter. The evolution operator, U, is used to describe how a quantum state changes with respect to this time operator. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems and predicting their behavior over time.

3. What is the significance of the exponential term in the evolution operator equation?

The exponential term, Exp[-iEt/h], in the evolution operator equation represents the time evolution of the system. It is derived from the Schrodinger equation and describes how the state of a system changes over time. This term is important in understanding the quantum behavior of particles, as it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time.

4. How does the Hamiltonian operator affect the evolution of a quantum system?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted as H, represents the total energy of a quantum system. It includes the kinetic and potential energies of the particles in the system. The evolution operator, U, incorporates this operator to calculate the time evolution of the system. The Hamiltonian operator determines the dynamics of the system and plays a crucial role in predicting the behavior of quantum systems over time.

5. Can the evolution operator be applied to classical systems as well?

No, the evolution operator is a concept that is unique to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied to classical systems. In classical mechanics, the state of a system is described by its position and momentum, and these variables change deterministically over time. In contrast, in quantum mechanics, the state of a system is described by a wavefunction, and it changes probabilistically over time according to the evolution operator.