1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolutionary Biology

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm a little bit confused with the terms: Phenotypic plasticy and adaptive radiation, please tell me if I'm correct

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so what I understand is that phenotypic plasticity is basically the ability of an organism (obviously with a fixed genotype) to adapt to different environments. so it means that it this is not an adaptation (a trait) since there is no change in the genotype. (so since it is not a trait then it mean that it is something that doesnt happen over many many generations. so furthermore it can be said that phenotypic plasticiy plays a major role with the phenotype.

and adaptive radiation can be explained to be driven by natural selection and it involved changes in genetype since new traits (adaptions) are gained due to natural selection. So this consists more with the genotype.

please feel free to add anycomments that could improve my understanding between these two terms or correct these if I'm wrong

thanks you
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?