Evolutionary Theory On Cognition and Behavior

In summary, the research published in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy and Law suggests that people who deny the genetic effect on g, or the black white gap on g-loaded abilities, are living in a dream world.
Dennis4
Here is a summary of the research published in the June 2005 issue of Psychology, Public Policy and Law, a journal of the American Psychological Association: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-04/cdri-bai042505.php

Also see http://www.news-medical.net/print_article.asp?id=9530

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis4 said:
Doing a search, I found the actual American Psychological Association research paper itself, free to download and read: http://taxa.epi.umn.edu/~mbmiller/journals/pppl/200504/

Excellent. Particularly Rushton & Jensen's reply, the last paper in the list. People who deny the genetic effect on g, or the black white gap on g-loaded abilities, are living in a dream world.

It is truly sad that this is so, but we will have no success with policies based on sentimental falsehoods. We need to face up to the real needs of the black community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a rehash of the same racially biased stuff from the same racially biased people. We've discussed this stuff ad nauseum here and it's like religion, no point arguing about it, you're not going to change anyone's mind on either side of the fence.

Evo said:
I think it's a rehash of the same racially biased stuff from the same racially biased people. We've discussed this stuff ad nauseum here and it's like religion, no point arguing about it, you're not going to change anyone's mind on either side of the fence.

I could agree with your second sentence, but your first one is an insult to Rushton, to Jensen, and to me. Could you just climb down off your high horse and look at the evidence they marshall?

No offense was intended to you SA, I apologize, I should have been more specific, and a person can agree with their findings without being racist, but honestly, it is a widely held opinion of them for various reasons and Rushton certainly does have an agenda.

I do think Jensen is not to be lumped in wholesale with the likes of Rushton though. Jensen, in my opinion, is of a higher caliber and I do find a lot of his work was well done.

I have read many of the papers referenced and the papers that have debunked them and I tend to see flaws on both sides, the methods used in many of the papers cited, however, do tend to have questionable results.

Evo said:
No offense was intended to you SA, I apologize, I should have been more specific, and a person can agree with their findings without being racist, but honestly, it is a widely held opinion of them for various reasons and Rushton certainly does have an agenda.

I do think Jensen is not to be lumped in wholesale with the likes of Rushton though. Jensen, in my opinion, is of a higher caliber and I do find a lot of his work was well done.

I have read many of the papers referenced and the papers that have debunked them and I tend to see flaws on both sides, the methods used in many of the papers cited, however, do tend to have questionable results.

With that said, I think we can close this thread before the real racists and tabula rasists find it and corrupt it..

1. What is evolutionary theory and how does it relate to cognition and behavior?

Evolutionary theory is a scientific explanation for how species change over time through the process of natural selection. It is based on the idea that individuals with advantageous traits are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing those traits onto their offspring. This theory also applies to cognition and behavior, as these traits are also subject to natural selection and can be influenced by evolutionary processes.

2. How does evolutionary theory explain the development of cognition and behavior?

Evolutionary theory proposes that cognition and behavior have evolved over time to adapt to different environments and aid in survival and reproduction. For example, the ability to problem solve and make decisions has been favored by natural selection as it increases an individual's chances of finding food and avoiding danger.

3. What evidence supports the role of evolution in shaping cognition and behavior?

There is a considerable amount of evidence from various fields, including biology, psychology, and anthropology, that supports the role of evolution in shaping cognition and behavior. For instance, comparative studies of different species have shown that similar cognitive abilities and behaviors can be traced back to a common ancestor, suggesting an evolutionary origin. Additionally, studies on human behavior have found that certain behaviors, such as altruism and mate selection, have evolved to increase the chances of survival and reproduction.

4. Are there any criticisms or alternative theories to evolutionary theory on cognition and behavior?

While evolutionary theory is widely accepted, there are some criticisms and alternative theories. One criticism is that it is difficult to test and validate evolutionary hypotheses. Some alternative theories propose that cognition and behavior are primarily influenced by environmental factors, rather than evolutionary processes.

5. How does evolutionary theory on cognition and behavior impact our understanding of human nature?

Evolutionary theory has greatly influenced our understanding of human nature by highlighting the role of natural selection and adaptation in shaping our cognition and behavior. It has also led to a better understanding of why humans have certain traits and behaviors, such as social behavior and language, which have been favored by natural selection for their survival and reproductive benefits.