Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolutionary Theory On Cognition and Behavior

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2
  4. Jun 2, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Excellent. Particularly Rushton & Jensen's reply, the last paper in the list. People who deny the genetic effect on g, or the black white gap on g-loaded abilities, are living in a dream world.

It is truly sad that this is so, but we will have no success with policies based on sentimental falsehoods. We need to face up to the real needs of the black community.

5. Jun 2, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think it's a rehash of the same racially biased stuff from the same racially biased people. We've discussed this stuff ad nauseum here and it's like religion, no point arguing about it, you're not going to change anyone's mind on either side of the fence.

6. Jun 2, 2005 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I could agree with your second sentence, but your first one is an insult to Rushton, to Jensen, and to me. Could you just climb down off your high horse and look at the evidence they marshall?

7. Jun 3, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No offense was intended to you SA, I apologize, I should have been more specific, and a person can agree with their findings without being racist, but honestly, it is a widely held opinion of them for various reasons and Rushton certainly does have an agenda.

I do think Jensen is not to be lumped in wholesale with the likes of Rushton though. Jensen, in my opinion, is of a higher caliber and I do find a lot of his work was well done.

I have read many of the papers referenced and the papers that have debunked them and I tend to see flaws on both sides, the methods used in many of the papers cited, however, do tend to have questionable results.

8. Jun 3, 2005 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

With that said, I think we can close this thread before the real racists and tabula rasists find it and corrupt it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?