Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolving AI Plays Super Mario

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Here's a neat video I found of an evolving AI that plays the video game Super Mario. The AI is based off of something called NEAT, or Neuro Evolution of Augmenting Topologies (paper here), and was programmed in Lua (source code here). I thought it was pretty cool, so I just figured I'd share.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's fascinating how artifical learning algorithms are advancing.

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Indeed. I actually created a really simple simulation of some evolving cells about a year ago, but it was nothing like this. There was no learning involved, the cells just adapted over time without any "intelligence".

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This month's Scientific American happens to have several articles on AI. It also refers to neural networks similar to what is mentioned in the video.

6. Jun 5, 2016 #5

Borek

7. Jun 5, 2016 #6
    I've heard that numerous games are played successfully this way. It was a key step on the way to the Go championship.

8. Jun 5, 2016 #7

Drakkith

The "Go" championship?

9. Jun 5, 2016 #8

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Earlier this year, an algorithm designed by Google defeated the top-rated Go player in the world. Go is an ancient Chinese board game which has simple rules, but is very complex because of the number of possible moves (there are many more possible games of Go than there are of chess, for example).
    http://www.wired.com/2016/03/googles-ai-wins-fifth-final-game-go-genius-lee-sedol/

Here's a link to the academic paper on the algorithm: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7587/full/nature16961.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  10. Jun 5, 2016 #9

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Several times I've created Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) for fun and kicks (various languages: Matlab, C++ and C#). Thus far they were only more conventional feed-forward networks that were trained using back-propagation with well defined training sets.

I think this NEAT algorithm might be quite useful for applications where well defined training sets are not practical.

11. Jun 5, 2016 #10
    I did not think Go would be solved in my lifetime. It was an epoch-making event, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted