Evolving Dark Energy: A Missed Revolution?

Rather, I think it is important to consider other factors that could contribute to the observed expansion of the universe. Ultimately, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the nature of dark energy. In summary, there is ongoing research and discussion about the possibility of evolving dark energy, with some evidence from studies such as those done by Sahni et. al (2014) and Ding et. al (2015). However, there are still uncertainties and further investigation is needed to fully understand the role of dark energy in the expansion of the universe.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the course of brushing up on my dark energy, https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0207347, The Cosmological Constant and Dark Energy, I noticed Peebles, et al, raised the possibility of evolving dark energy. Curious, I elected to do some further checking and turned up this rather startling claim; https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.2209, Model independent evidence for dark energy evolution from Baryon Acoustic Oscillations. As seems all too often, I was quite surprised I had not noticed this sooner and was further surprised to learn it has apparently since been corroborated; https://arxiv.org/abs/1503.04923, Is there evidence for dark energy evolution? Just how big a deal is this, or am I just living under a rock?

Space news on Phys.org
As I read it, there are still some statistical uncertainties in the analysis done by Sahni et. al (2014), as apparently collaborated by Ding et. al (2015), summarized in the latter's para. 3.

I would not take this as sufficient evidence for dark energy evolution.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical concept in physics that describes the energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is the dominant energy component in the current era of the universe.

2. How does dark energy affect the universe?

Dark energy is believed to have a repulsive force that counteracts the gravitational pull of matter, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This means that the distance between galaxies is getting larger and larger as time goes on, ultimately leading to the "heat death" of the universe.

3. How was dark energy discovered?

Dark energy was first proposed in the late 1990s when astronomers noticed that distant supernovae were dimmer than expected. This led to the realization that the expansion of the universe was accelerating, and dark energy was proposed as the explanation for this phenomenon.

4. What is the current understanding of dark energy?

Despite decades of research, dark energy remains a mystery and is one of the biggest unanswered questions in physics. The most widely accepted theory is that dark energy is a property of space itself, known as the cosmological constant. However, there are other theories that attempt to explain dark energy, such as quintessence and modified gravity.

5. How does the concept of evolving dark energy challenge current theories?

The concept of evolving dark energy challenges the widely accepted idea of a constant cosmological constant and proposes that dark energy may change over time. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially explain why the expansion of the universe is accelerating. However, more research and evidence are needed to fully understand the implications of evolving dark energy.