Is Evo's New Move the Perfect Upgrade?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo is moving back to civilization and has decided to live in an apartment. He is excited about the move and the great things about it such as being nearer to his daughters and work. He is also excited about no one living above or below him and that everyone is welcome to visit.
Math Is Hard said:
I plan on revamping the cooling system I was working on last year.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127277

Maybe you could build one of these, too?

I want to build an aquarium pump driven system this time around. The thing was way hard to suck start and get the siphon going, and it never lasted quite long enough.

Still, I find a cold-tub more efficient. :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
I think we need to all pitch in on designing an elevator system for Evo's fruit bat.:approve:

Fruit bat? She beats up pieces of fruit if they don't listen to her? :confused::biggrin:

Oh, and I definitely NEED one of these chillows. The pillow is actually the worst part. It usually ends up at the bottom of my feet. Don't know why I use that damn thing anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have air conditioning either.

We normally don't need it at 6,000 feet. There might be a couple of weeks each summer where the basement is the nicest place to be in the afternoons and it's rare you don't need a sweatshirt after the Sun goes down. Unfortunately, disease finished off one of the trees in the backyard so I don't have as much shade as I used to. I'm thinking about getting a window air conditioner for the afternoons.

Hope your move went well, and nothing precious was damaged in transit{this would include yourself, family and pets}. Welcome to your new home!

Math Is Hard said:
I recently put an air conditioner in my bedroom window, but my landlord came by and served me a notice saying to take it out or quit the apartment. I should have looked at my lease. There's a clause in it that says I can't use an air conditioner unless the owner supplies it. Still sucks, though.:frown:

If the landlord is that much of a jerk that he won't even provide an air-conditioner, I think it's time to find a stealthy way to keep one installed. Is there a way to leave the unit on the floor and just modify some ductwork to attach to a dryer vent hose (the accordian-like round stuff that would be smaller and less obvious than an air-conditioner sticking out the window)? Might not be quite as good as properly installing it in the window, but maybe better than nothing at all? Or maybe we need someone really good at art to modify all the words on the unit so you can point at it and say, "Oh, it's just a dehumidifier!" :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
If the landlord is that much of a jerk that he won't even provide an air-conditioner, I think it's time to find a stealthy way to keep one installed. Is there a way to leave the unit on the floor and just modify some ductwork to attach to a dryer vent hose (the accordian-like round stuff that would be smaller and less obvious than an air-conditioner sticking out the window)? Might not be quite as good as properly installing it in the window, but maybe better than nothing at all? Or maybe we need someone really good at art to modify all the words on the unit so you can point at it and say, "Oh, it's just a dehumidifier!" :biggrin:

I would move out.

Sounds like a jackass right away.

I read through my whole lease with my landlord before signing it.

The landlord obviously wrote that clause so no air conditionners exist, but he guess tried to do it in a "nicer" way. Still a jackass.

MIH, I've got one of these, and if you can find a discrete place to route the hot exhaust air, you'd be all set. It uses a flex hose, but maybe you can attach that to some sort of wide, but not-to-tall adapter that would only require you to leave your window open an inch or two.

http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/JSP.detailmain/Amcor_12_000_BTU_Portable_Air_Conditioner_/itemID.11805/itemType.Product/iProductID.11805/qx/shopping/product/ALP12000E.htm

JasonRox said:
I would move out.

It sounds like that's what he's hoping for. In a place like L.A., you don't want to give up a rent-controlled apartment, so obviously the slumlord is doing his best to make it miserable so she'll move out. The only time you can raise rents in a rent-controlled apartment is when it is vacated and before a new tenant moves in. So, you just have to find ways to keep beating them at their own game.