What is the derivation of the exact Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the exact Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which is shown as equation (16) in the provided document. It involves finding the most probable macrostate for a system with 6 particles and constant energy 6, using the function f to maximize and the constraints g and h, with the lagrange multipliers a and b. The solution is to take the outputs from a calculation and round them to their nearest integers. The values of a=-0.06 and b=1.96 are suggested, but may not be the correct values.
rabbed
I would like to see a derivation of the exact Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution shown as (16) in this document: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222670999_Exact_Maxwell-Boltzmann_Bose-Einstein_and_Fermi-Dirac_Statistics

This is my starting point (f being the function to maximize, g and h being the constraints, a and b being the lagrange multipliers and nk being the number of particles in level/energy k):

f(n0, ..., n6) = ln(6!/(n0!*n1!*n2!*n3!*n4!*n5!*n6!))
g(n0, ..., n6) = 0*n0 + 1*n1 + 2*n2 + 3*n3 + 4*n4 + 5*n5 + 6*n6 = 6
h(n0, ..., n6) = n0 + n1 + n2 + n3 + n4 + n5 + n6 = 6
gradient(f) = a*gradient(g) + b*gradient(h)

I know ln(gamma(x))' = digamma(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the most probable macrostate (for 6 particles, constant energy 6) is achieved with occupancy 3,1,1,1,0,0,0 in energy levels 0,1,2,3,4,5,6.
Is the solution to take the outputs from the following calculation (where I've picked suitable values a=-0.06 and b=1.96 to fit the solution, but maybe there are correct values?) and round them to their nearest integers?
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=evaluate+-x!'/x!-0.06*x+1.96+at+x=0,+1,+2,+3,+4,+5,+6

1. What is the Exact Boltzmann distribution?

The Exact Boltzmann distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of a particle being in a particular energy state in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is based on the Boltzmann factor, which takes into account the energy of the particle and the temperature of the system.

2. How is the Exact Boltzmann distribution different from the Boltzmann distribution?

The Exact Boltzmann distribution takes into account the quantum nature of particles, while the Boltzmann distribution assumes classical behavior. This makes the Exact Boltzmann distribution more accurate for systems with low temperatures or small particles, such as atoms or molecules.

3. What is the formula for the Exact Boltzmann distribution?

The formula for the Exact Boltzmann distribution is P(E) = (1/Z) * e^(-E/kT), where P(E) is the probability of a particle being in a specific energy state, Z is the partition function, E is the energy of the state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the system.

4. How is the Exact Boltzmann distribution used in thermodynamics?

The Exact Boltzmann distribution is used in thermodynamics to calculate the average energy of a system, as well as the probabilities of different energy states. It is also used to determine the behavior of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium.

5. Can the Exact Boltzmann distribution be applied to all systems?

No, the Exact Boltzmann distribution is most accurate for systems with low temperatures or small particles. It is not as accurate for high temperature systems or systems with large particles. In these cases, the classical Boltzmann distribution may be more appropriate.