1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Diff Eq

1. Jul 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the Differential Equation:

question.jpg

When I take the partial derivative of each of these equations, I do indeed get that it is exact...

However, when I do it the way my professor wants me to do it, I don't get the same result.
    He told us to multiply through by the common denominator. I have tried it multiple times, and the result never comes out as exact. Multiplying by the common denominator is altering the equation and making it not exact, but that's the way he wants us to do it. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Relevant equations

Exact equation, integrating factor using common denominator

3. The attempt at a solution

workexact.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right, the original equation is exact, and multiplying it with the common denominator makes it non-exact.
    You can choose any path to integrate it.

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3
    Is there anyway I could simplify the partial derivatives, do you think? The teacher somehow got this down to having no denominator, but then he erased it. I can't see anyway to do it myself... Even if I multiply both groups in parenthesis by their own respective common denominators, instead of multiplying the entirety of it by the CD of all, it still comes out as non-exact. I've also tried using the common denominator to bring together the separate fractions, which obviously is still the correct partial derivative because I'm not altering the equation by doing so, but it doesn't make partial derivative without a denominator.

5. Jul 5, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you want to simplify the partial derivatives?
    You have a differential equation which proved to be exact as it is. The expression on the left side is total derivative of a function F(x,y).

##\left(\frac {2x}{y}-\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}\right)dx+\left(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}-\frac{x^2}{y^2}\right)dy=dF(x,y)##

You need to find F(x,y). Integrate the equation:

##\int\left(\left(\frac {2x}{y}-\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}\right)dx+\left(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}-\frac{x^2}{y^2}\right)dy\right)=F(x,y) + C##

6. Jul 5, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is there some reason you're expecting the resulting equation to be exact? It sounds like your professor doesn't want you to solve it that way.

7. Jul 5, 2015 #6
    So I just need to integrate either M or N first, if I label them respectively as so?

Not sure, He wrote "Exact" right next to the problem in the notes, so I guess it infers we have to solve it exactly. Unless of course, there is a more simple way to solve it, which I don't see.

8. Jul 5, 2015 #7
    work.jpg

Here is my conclusion of work to the problem, it works out with the books answer, so thank you for all your time helping me answer this questions!

9. Jul 5, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice work! :oldsmile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted