1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact differential equation

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Solve the differential equation: ##(3x^2-y^2)dy-2xydx=0##.

The attempt at a solution.
    I thought this was an exact differential equation. If I call ##M(x,y)=-2xy## and ##N(x,y)=3x^2-y^2##, then the ODE is an exact differential equation if and only if ##\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}##. Now, when I compute these two partial derivatives, ##\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}=-2x## and ##\frac{\partial N}{\partial x}=6x## which are clearly different. Am I doing something wrong or is it just that this equation is not exact?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me to be not exact.

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    Yes, I've looked up in an ODE textbook and I've found that you can reduce this equation to an exact differential equation by something called "the integrating factor". Thanks anyway.

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I find it helps writing the equation like so to avoid negative sign errors:

##(3x^2-y^2)dy + (-2xy)dx=0##

I can see an integrating factor in your equation that relies only on ##x##. Using this integrating factor, you might be able to turn this equation into an exact equation. Then it is easily solvable.

6. Nov 7, 2013 #5
    Thanks, I've been able to reduce the equation to an exact equation by finding ##μ(x)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted