Conditions for Exact Differential Equations

In summary, the author attempted to solve an equation for a function u(x,y) given that it is nonlinear and the condition on the form is that it is exact. The author found that x^2y(f'(xy) - g'(xy)) only depends on y and that there must be constants C and D that are integrated into the solution.
root45

Homework Statement

Let M(x,y) = yf(xy) and N(x,y) = xg(xy), where f(v) and g(v) are functions of a single real variable v, defined and continuously differentiable for all real values of v. Under what conditions on f and g is the form Mdx + Ndy exact for all values of x, y in the plane? In that case, find the function u(x,y) such that exact equation holds, and use that information to infer the general solution to the equation y' = -(M(x,y)/N(x,y)).

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the way I see it, I have to use the product rule and the chain rule to take the derivatives, so

[tex] \frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = xyf_y(xy) + f(xy) [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{\partial N}{\partial x} = xyg_x(xy) + g(xy) [/tex].

If the form is exact, then we have

[tex] f(xy) + xyf_y(xy) = g(xy) + xyg_x(xy) [/tex]

so maybe a good condition is something like

[tex] \frac{f(xy) - g(xy)}{f_y(xy) - g_x(xy)} = -xy [/tex]

provided the denominator is nonzero. But then, how do use this to find u(x,y)? I need to integrate M(x,y) with respect to x, but f(xy) depends on x. I have no clue what f is, and I don't see how this condition will help at all. What am I missing or doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two comments: First, since f and g are functions of a single variable, "[itex]f_y(xy)[/itex]" and "[itex]g_x(xy)[/itex]" are not correct notation. It should be " f '(xy)" and "g '(xy)". Second, rather than that fraction, I would be inclined to write the formula (which is correct) as [itex]g(xy)- f(xy)= xy(f '(xy)- g '(xy))[/itex].

Now, solve the same way you normally would. Since yf(xy)dx+ xg(xy)dy is exact, there exist a fuction, U(x,y), such that
[tex]dU= \frac{\partial U}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial U}{\partial y}dy= yf(xy)dx+ xg(xy)dy[/tex]
that means that
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}= yf(xy)[/tex]
and so, integrating with respect to x while treating y as a constant,
[tex]U(x,y)= F(xy)+ W(y)[/tex]
where F is an anti-derivative of f and W is an arbitrary differentiable function (the "constant" of integration).

Then
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial y}= xf(xy)+ W'(y)= xg(xy)[/tex]
and
[tex]W'(y)= x(g(xy)- f(xy))[/tex]
In order that that be possible, [itex]x(g(xy)- f(xy))[/itex] must be a function of y only.

Thanks so much for responding. I'm confused a little about the conclusion. If x(g(xy) - f(xy)) only depends on y, what does that mean for the solution? From the condition on exactness, I guess it means that x^2y(f'(xy) - g'(xy)) only depends on y, but I don't see how that helps. Sorry for my confusion.

I was wondering about the derivatives issue as well. It makes sense that it should be f'(xy) instead of f_y(xy), since there's only one variable, but I thought it would be the case that I first evaluate f(v) with v = xy, then take the partial derivative with respect to y. So, for example, if f(v) = v^2, then f(xy) = x^2y^2. Now f'(v) = 2v, so f'(xy) = 2xy. But ∂/∂y (x^2y^2) = 2x^2y, which is different. Maybe more explicitly,

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial y} yf(xy) = f(xy) + y \left ( \frac{\partial}{\partial y} f(xy) \right ) [/tex]

right? Now at this point, shouldn't I evaluate f at xy and take the partial derivative with respect to that expression? It seems wrong to just differentiate f if I'm not differentiating with respect to the variable xy.

So right now, it seems that I can only reduce this to an equation

u(x,y) = F(xy) + G(xy) + C(y) + D(x)

where C and D are constants of integration since I don't know anything about the functions f and g.

Thanks again for your help.

For the derivative issue, you need to use the chain rule so that
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} f(xy) \right = f'(xy) \cdot x.[/tex]

Then you can replace v = xy and integrate to get the condition on f and g for M dx + N dy to be an exact form.

Also, are you in MATH 273 or something. If so, who is your instructor (guessing Vlad or Angelica).

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be solved by finding a function whose derivative equals the given equation. This function is known as the "exact solution" and provides the most precise and accurate solution to the problem.

2. How do you determine if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you must check if the partial derivatives of the function are equal. If they are equal, then the equation is exact and can be solved using the method of exact equations.

3. What is the method of exact equations?

The method of exact equations involves finding a function whose partial derivatives are equal to the given differential equation. This function is known as the "exact solution" and can be used to solve the equation and find the most accurate solution.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using the method of exact equations?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using the method of exact equations. Only certain types of equations, known as exact differential equations, can be solved using this method. Other types of equations may require different methods or techniques for solving.

5. What are some real-world applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations have many real-world applications, including modeling physical systems such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, finance, and other fields to model and predict various phenomena. Additionally, exact differential equations are used in engineering and scientific research to solve complex problems and analyze data.