How to Solve Exact Differential Equations with Discontinuous Functions?

In summary, the given differential equation is solved by multiplying both sides by the integrating factor e^x and then integrating both sides. The integral for 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 is 2(e^x - 1), and for x > 1 it is a constant 2(e - 1). When substituting x = 1, the integral for 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 is used, resulting in 2(e^1 - 1) = 2(e - 1).
mehtamonica
i have to solve the following differential equation :

dy/ dx + y = f(x) where f (x) = 2, 0 <= x < 1 and 0 if x >=1

and y (0)=0.

please explain how to solve it as it involves a discontinuous function ?

I am stuck while computing after computing the integrating factor e^x. Please suggest how to proceed beyond this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the integrating factor is [itex]e^x[/itex]. Multiplying both side of the equation by [itex]e^x[/itex] you have
[tex]e^x\frac{dy}{dx}+ e^xy= e^xf(x)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{d(e^xy)}{dx}= e^xf(x)[/tex]
Integrate both sides to get
[tex]e^x y(x)= \int_0^x tf(t)dt[/tex]
(I chose the lower limit of integration to be 0 because the integral of any function from 0 to 0 so that gives y(0)= 0.)

I suspect it is that integration that is bothering you. Take it "step by step".

For [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex] f(x)= 2 so [itex]e^xf(x)= 2e^x[/itex] on that interval.
[itex]\int_0^x 2e^t dt= 2(e^x- e^0)= 2(e^x- 1)[/itex]
Of course, for that, if x= 1, [itex]2(e- 1)[/itex]

For x> 1, f(x)= 0 so [itex]e^x f(x)= 0[/itex]. [itex]\int_1^x 0 dx= 0[/itex] so [itex]\int_0^x e^xf(x)dx= 2(e- 1)[/itex].

That is, the integral is [itex]2(e^x-1)[/itex] for [itex]0\le x\le 1[/itex] and the constant [itex]2(e- 1)[/itex] for [itex]x\ge 1[/itex].

Thank a lot for this guidance, but i still have a doubt and hope that you may help me out this time as well. when f(x)=0 for x>=1 then how do we substitute x=1 in the solution obtained for 0<=x<1? please enlighten me on this

1. What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of differential equation where the solution can be determined by finding a function that satisfies a specific mathematical condition. This condition involves the partial derivatives of the function and ensures that the equation is exact.

2. How is an exact differential equation different from other types of differential equations?

An exact differential equation differs from other types of differential equations, such as separable and linear, in that it requires the equation to satisfy a specific mathematical condition in order to find a solution. This condition involves the partial derivatives of the function and ensures that the equation is exact.

3. What is the process for solving an exact differential equation?

The process for solving an exact differential equation involves checking if the equation satisfies the mathematical condition for exactness, then using various techniques such as integrating factors, partial integration, and substitution to find the solution. It may also involve manipulating the equation to put it in a more manageable form.

4. What are some real-world applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model various physical processes, such as heat flow and fluid dynamics, and to analyze economic systems and population growth. They are also commonly used in control systems and optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using exact differential equations?

While exact differential equations are a powerful tool for solving many mathematical and real-world problems, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that the mathematical condition for exactness can be difficult to satisfy in some cases, making it challenging to find a solution. Additionally, exact differential equations may not be suitable for modeling systems with complex or chaotic behavior.