1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Differential Equations

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1
    I thought I got this problem wrong, but I think I have it right now. It turned out that when I was taking the derivative of e^xy2with respect to y, I forgot that you're supposed to multiply by 2xy (the derivative of xy2), not just x.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx + (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I test to make sure it's exact. When I differentiate the first with respect to y, and the second with respect to x, I get 2xy3 * e^xy2 + 2y*e^xy2 for both, so it is indeed exact.

When I integrate (y2* e^xy2 + 4x3 dx, I get e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y)

The derivative of e^xy2 + x^4 + f(y) with respect to y is 2xy*e^xy2 + f'(y), and f'(y) is (2xy * e^xy2 - 3y2 dy), so I integrate 3y2 with respect to y, and get y3

So my final function is f(x,y) = e^xy2 + x4 + y3

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you meant the equation (y2* e^(xy2) + 4x3)dx + (2xy * e^(xy2) - 3y2 )dy = 0. Do not forget parentheses!

Excellent! But you need to include the integration constant, so f(x,y) = e^(xy2) + x4 + y3 + C

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted