1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact self-similarity?

1. Jan 16, 2010 #1
    Does self-similarity of fractals ever represent an exact, albeit scaled down, reproduction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2010 #2
    Unless I misunderstand what you mean, yes many simple fractals are of this type. See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpinski_triangle" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 16, 2010 #3
    and cantor set :D

5. Jan 17, 2010 #4
    Can one define a "simplicity limit" beyond which exact self-similarity does not occur?

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Care to be more specific? Otherwise, I could define the simplicity limit as "the fractal is exactly self-similar" and get the desired result.

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6
    Here's a first attempt at specificity:

Does fractal self-similarity scale by rational numbers, and fractals that are not self-similar scale by irrational numbers?

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, since the fractal generated as the limit of

F0 = triangle with unit sides
    Fn = F(n-1) plus triangle with sides of length x^n
    where all triangles are oriented similarly and share a common point

is exactly self-similar but scales by x which can be chosen to be irrational.

9. Jan 18, 2010 #8
    Does a Mandelbrot set ever have exact self-similarity, and if not, is there a measure of how close the set comes to it?

My original question should have been: do all fractals have some presence of exact self-similarity?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook