1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Sin calculus

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Hi!
    While computer programming Us encountered problem of exact calculus of trigonometry funcs.
    As is well known, all calculators and comp progs do x for Sin
    and x^2/2 for Cos on 0..Pi/2 and so on. It seems insufficient.
    While solving - next problem:
    trigon func definition without triangle.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a lot of sense. Can you explain it better?

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    I think you may be thinking of how a calculator/computer generates the sin/cosine of a number.
    They will use several terms to calculate the value.
    I don't think it will be the first few terms of a Taylor series for the function - the convergence is likely to be too slow. The only case I recall is the sine function in the Fortran library for a Univac 1108. This used a fifth degree expression in x2 - I don't remember the coefficients.

5. Sep 5, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This article describes one basic algorithm which can be used to calculate trigonometric and hyperbolic functions on relatively primitive computers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC

Many of the processors nowadays have microcode for calculating trig functions built into the CPU itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook