Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact solutions for a QFT

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    A question I would like to get an answer is when is a QFT exactly solved? E.g. if I know the solution of the equation for the two-point function I have got all about the theory? This equation is classical in nature being the two-point function defined in the sense of distributions. I have read the original paper of Schwinger about QED2 and he does exactly this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

One meaning of "solved" is that we have a complete set of eigenstates of the full
    (interacting) Hamiltonian. I.e., one has "diagonalized" the interacting Hamiltonian.
    With such a complete set, the properties of any scattering scenario or bound state can
    be expressed analytically in closed form (exactly).

That's not enough. But did you mean 2-point or 4-point? (Don't you need 4-point to
    describe 2-particle scattering?)

Could you give a more precise reference, pls?
  4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    I think that in QED there are only a few exact results, e.g. the exact expression for the pair creation probability per unit volume and time in a constant electric field. You can write this as a functional determinant and exactly evaluate it.
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Nothing is known exactly in QED. The functional determinant only sums one-loop graphs (an electron-positron loop in the external field, but with no virtual photons exchanged).

There are a number of exact results in two spacetime dimensions, however.
  6. Jan 31, 2008 #5
    About reference I mean the Schwinger's paper about QED in 1+1 dimensions (Phys. Rev. 128, 2425 (1962)) but I think that any reliable textbook should give the same information.

For a QFT generally a two-point function is enough to compute scattering amplitudes by LSZ formalism. This formalism is exact and should give also information about states and asymptotic states.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?