When Is a Quantum Field Theory Exactly Solved?

• Thread starter Lester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary: A question I would like to get an answer is when is a QFT exactly solved?In summary, a QFT is not solved in the sense that one has a complete set of eigenstates of the full Hamiltonian. With such a set, one could calculate scattering amplitudes by using the LSZ formalism, but that is not always the case.
Lester
A question I would like to get an answer is when is a QFT exactly solved? E.g. if I know the solution of the equation for the two-point function I have got all about the theory? This equation is classical in nature being the two-point function defined in the sense of distributions. I have read the original paper of Schwinger about QED2 and he does exactly this.

Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
Lester said:
A question I would like to get an answer is when is a QFT exactly solved?
One meaning of "solved" is that we have a complete set of eigenstates of the full
(interacting) Hamiltonian. I.e., one has "diagonalized" the interacting Hamiltonian.
With such a complete set, the properties of any scattering scenario or bound state can
be expressed analytically in closed form (exactly).

E.g. if I know the solution of the equation for the two-point function I have got
all about the theory?
That's not enough. But did you mean 2-point or 4-point? (Don't you need 4-point to
describe 2-particle scattering?)

This equation is classical in nature being the two-point function defined in the
sense of distributions. I have read the original paper of Schwinger about QED2 and
he does exactly this.
Could you give a more precise reference, pls?

I think that in QED there are only a few exact results, e.g. the exact expression for the pair creation probability per unit volume and time in a constant electric field. You can write this as a functional determinant and exactly evaluate it.

Count Iblis said:
I think that in QED there are only a few exact results, e.g. the exact expression for the pair creation probability per unit volume and time in a constant electric field. You can write this as a functional determinant and exactly evaluate it.

Nothing is known exactly in QED. The functional determinant only sums one-loop graphs (an electron-positron loop in the external field, but with no virtual photons exchanged).

There are a number of exact results in two spacetime dimensions, however.

About reference I mean the Schwinger's paper about QED in 1+1 dimensions (Phys. Rev. 128, 2425 (1962)) but I think that any reliable textbook should give the same information.

For a QFT generally a two-point function is enough to compute scattering amplitudes by LSZ formalism. This formalism is exact and should give also information about states and asymptotic states.

Jon

What is a QFT?

A QFT, or Quantum Field Theory, is a theoretical framework that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

What are exact solutions for a QFT?

Exact solutions for a QFT are mathematical expressions that accurately describe the behavior of a quantum field theory without any approximation or simplification. These solutions often involve complicated equations and can only be found for a limited set of QFT problems.

Why are exact solutions important in QFT?

Exact solutions are important because they provide a precise understanding of the behavior of quantum field theories and allow for the prediction of physical phenomena with a high level of accuracy. They also serve as a benchmark for more approximate solutions and provide a way to test the validity of theoretical predictions.

How are exact solutions for a QFT found?

Exact solutions for a QFT are typically found using advanced mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory, symmetry principles, and numerical methods. These methods require a deep understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, as well as advanced mathematical skills.

What are some examples of exact solutions for a QFT?

Some examples of exact solutions for a QFT include the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, and the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of spin-0 particles. Other examples include the Schwinger-Dyson equations, which describe the behavior of quantum field theories in terms of correlation functions, and the Yang-Baxter equation, which describes the scattering of particles in two-dimensional quantum field theories.