1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry for doing another thread but I can't edit the old one any longer and I found out I made some calculation error but I'm pretty sure it's right now.

The problem is to find the exact value of the series.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\sum a_{k}[/itex]
    The summation is to be done from minus infinity to infinity.

[itex]a_{k} = [/itex]-[itex]\frac{12}{49}[/itex]cos(nπ) - [itex]\frac{16}{7}[/itex]cos(n[itex]\frac{π}{14}[/itex]) + [itex]\frac{26}{49}[/itex]cos(n[itex]\frac{π}{2}[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was googling some and read that this sum results from when t = 0, x(0).
    Then the Fourier series changes to [itex]\frac{a_{0}}{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sum a_{k}[/itex].
    However, isn't the sum in the Fourier series from n = 1 to infinity? While here it's from minus to plus infinity. Can I change the index?
    I was thinking that this sum is the same, as the sum from minus infinity to 1 plus the sum from 1 to infinity. And since the coefficients only have cosines which are even functions then the sum from minus infinity to 1 is equal to the sum from 1 to infinity. Therefor the whole sum is simply equal to 2 times the sum from 1 to infinity. Is this correct?
    If it is, then I think I can solve it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?