Exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact value of a series and the use of summation for Fourier series. The attempt at a solution involves considering the index and the coefficients, and ultimately results in a calculated answer of 0. There is a request for feedback on the solution.
Inertigratus

Homework Statement

Sorry for doing another thread but I can't edit the old one any longer and I found out I made some calculation error but I'm pretty sure it's right now.

The problem is to find the exact value of the series.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum a_{k}[/itex]
The summation is to be done from minus infinity to infinity.

[itex]a_{k} = [/itex]-[itex]\frac{12}{49}[/itex]cos(nπ) - [itex]\frac{16}{7}[/itex]cos(n[itex]\frac{π}{14}[/itex]) + [itex]\frac{26}{49}[/itex]cos(n[itex]\frac{π}{2}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I was googling some and read that this sum results from when t = 0, x(0).
Then the Fourier series changes to [itex]\frac{a_{0}}{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sum a_{k}[/itex].
However, isn't the sum in the Fourier series from n = 1 to infinity? While here it's from minus to plus infinity. Can I change the index?
I was thinking that this sum is the same, as the sum from minus infinity to 1 plus the sum from 1 to infinity. And since the coefficients only have cosines which are even functions then the sum from minus infinity to 1 is equal to the sum from 1 to infinity. Therefor the whole sum is simply equal to 2 times the sum from 1 to infinity. Is this correct?
If it is, then I think I can solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:I just did the calculation and got the answer as 0.However, I'm not sure if it's correct and I would like to get some feedback.

1. What is the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients?

The exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients is not a single number, but rather a function that can be represented as an infinite sum of sine and cosine terms. This function is used to approximate other functions in mathematics and physics, and does not have a single numerical value.

2. How is the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients calculated?

The exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients is calculated using a mathematical process called Fourier analysis, which involves breaking down a given function into its component sine and cosine terms. The coefficients of these terms are then calculated using integrals, which allow for an infinite sum to be represented.

3. Can the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients be approximated?

Yes, the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients can be approximated by using a finite number of terms in the series. The more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the exact value. However, the exact value can only be achieved in theory with an infinite number of terms.

4. What is the significance of the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients?

The exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients is significant in mathematics and physics because it allows for the representation and approximation of many types of functions, including periodic and non-periodic functions. This concept is also important in understanding the behavior of waves and signals in various systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the exact value of infinity sum of Fourier series coefficients. Some examples include signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations. This concept is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze various systems.