Solve Trigonometry Equation: Tan 285° + Cos 75° + Cot 60°

• Thread starter markm
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the exact value of tan 285 deg + cos 75 deg + cot 60 deg, with the requirement of no decimal places. The first step in solving this is converting the angles to radians, and then analyzing the fractions to see if they can be reduced to simpler forms. By trial and error, it is found that 5pi/12 can be written as 5(pi/3)-5(pi/4), allowing for the use of formulas for reducing tan(a-b) and cos(a-b).
markm
the question is: find the exact value of tan 285 deg + cos 75 deg + cot 60 deg

i tried converting them to radians and got

tan 5pi / 12 + cos 5 pi / 12 + cot pi / 3

as far as i know, only the cot part has some special identity. am i missing something important? we have a long test tomorrow..

thanks in advance for any help. ^_^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
oh, and by exact value the question means no decimal places.

RULE NUMBER ONE ON THIS FORUM:

DON'T DOUBLE POST!

Daniel.

I didn't see a double post so I won't comment on that.

The denominator in "5pi/12" is 12= 3*4. Hmm, pi/3 and pi/4 tend to be pretty easy!

Can we "analyze" 5pi/12 as a combination of pi/3 and pi/4? That is, can we find
m and n so that 5pi/12= mpi/4+ npi/3? If we multiply that equation by 12/pi, we get
5= 3m+ 4n. Now I think it's just a matter of "trial and error" (actually, there are methods of solving such "Diaphontine equations" but trial and error works here).Trying a few possibilities shows that m= -5, n= 5 gives 3(-5)+ 4(5)= -15+ 20= 5.

Excellent: 5pi/12= 20pi/12- 15pi/12= 5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4) so tan(5pi/12)= tan(5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4) and cos(5pi/12)= cos(5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4)).

Now, do you know any formulas for reducing tan(a-b) and cos(a-b)?

The same problem,the same "author" and the same me giving the same hint in the HS Homework section...

Daniel.

1. What is the first step in solving this trigonometry equation?

The first step is to convert all the trigonometric functions to their equivalent values in terms of sine and cosine. This will help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. How do you solve for the value of tan 285°?

To solve for tan 285°, you can use the identity tan(180° + x) = -tan(x). Therefore, tan 285° is equal to -tan(75°). You can then use a calculator to find the value of tan 75°, which is approximately 2.4142.

3. What is the value of cos 75°?

The value of cos 75° is approximately 0.2588. You can use a calculator to find this value or use the trigonometric identity cos(90° - x) = sin(x) to solve for cos 75°.

4. Is it necessary to convert cot 60° to its equivalent value in terms of sine and cosine?

Yes, it is necessary to convert cot 60° to its equivalent value in terms of sine and cosine. This will help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. The equivalent value of cot 60° is 1/tan 60° = 1/√3 = √3/3.

5. How do you solve the entire equation for its final value?

After converting all the trigonometric functions to their equivalent values in terms of sine and cosine, you can combine like terms and use basic algebraic principles to simplify the equation. This will eventually lead to a single value for the equation, which can be found using a calculator. The final value for this equation is approximately 4.1557.