Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact values (trigo)

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    the question is: find the exact value of tan 285 deg + cos 75 deg + cot 60 deg

i tried converting them to radians and got

tan 5pi / 12 + cos 5 pi / 12 + cot pi / 3

as far as i know, only the cot part has some special identity. am i missing something important? we have a long test tomorrow..

thanks in advance for any help. ^_^

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    oh, and by exact value the question means no decimal places.

4. Jan 23, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

RULE NUMBER ONE ON THIS FORUM:

DON'T DOUBLE POST!!!!!!!!

Daniel.

5. Jan 23, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't see a double post so I won't comment on that.

The denominator in "5pi/12" is 12= 3*4. Hmm, pi/3 and pi/4 tend to be pretty easy!

Can we "analyze" 5pi/12 as a combination of pi/3 and pi/4? That is, can we find
    m and n so that 5pi/12= mpi/4+ npi/3? If we multiply that equation by 12/pi, we get
    5= 3m+ 4n. Now I think it's just a matter of "trial and error" (actually, there are methods of solving such "Diaphontine equations" but trial and error works here).Trying a few possibilities shows that m= -5, n= 5 gives 3(-5)+ 4(5)= -15+ 20= 5.

Excellent: 5pi/12= 20pi/12- 15pi/12= 5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4) so tan(5pi/12)= tan(5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4) and cos(5pi/12)= cos(5(pi/3)- 5(pi/4)).

Now, do you know any formulas for reducing tan(a-b) and cos(a-b)?

6. Jan 23, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The same problem,the same "author" and the same me giving the same hint in the HS Homework section...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?