Finding Exact Values for Trigonometric Functions

• Thread starter GLprincess02
  • Start date
Sorry about that.In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact values of tan 510, sin (-315) and sin 750. The person initially asks for help, but then finds the answers on their own. They also mention another problem involving finding two values of theta between 0 and 360 degrees where sin theta is equal to -√(3/2), but they are unsure of how to solve it without a unit circle. The expert then provides some hints and asks for clarification on the value of -√(3/2). The person realizes their mistake and apologizes for the error.
GLprincess02
How can I go about finding the exact values of tan 510, sin (-315) and sin 750? I'm unsure of where to even begin on these problems and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind, I found the answers to these problems. However, there is another problem on my homework the reads: "Find 2 values of [tex]\theta[/tex] such that 0 degrees < [tex]\theta[/tex] < 360 degrees and sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = -[tex]\sqrt{3/2}[/tex]." I don't have a unit circle handy, so I'm unsure about how to solve it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sin is the y value so on a unit circle and why is negitive in quadrants 3 and 4. so at 240 deg and 300deg it should be that value.

GLprincess02 said:
How can I go about finding the exact values of tan 510, sin (-315) and sin 750? I'm unsure of where to even begin on these problems and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never mind, I found the answers to these problems. However, there is another problem on my homework the reads: "Find 2 values of [tex]\theta[/tex] such that 0 degrees < [tex]\theta[/tex] < 360 degrees and sin [tex]\theta[/tex] = -[tex]\sqrt{3/2}[/tex]." I don't have a unit circle handy, so I'm unsure about how to solve it.

tan(x) is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex] so surely it would help to note that 510= 2(180)+ 150= 3(180)- 30. Do you know sine and cosine of -30 degrees? -315= 2(180)- 45, and 750= 4(180)+ 30.

As for your second problem, did it say [itex]-\sqrt{3/2}[/itex] or [itex]-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]? That's an important difference!

You're right, I just realized my mistake. It should have said "[itex]-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]."

What are exact values?

Exact values refer to numerical values that can be expressed without any rounding or approximation. They are typically written in the form of fractions, square roots, or other special constants.

Why are exact values important in science?

Exact values are important in science because they allow for precise calculations and measurements. In many cases, approximations may lead to errors or inaccuracies in scientific experiments or theories.

How are exact values different from approximate values?

Unlike exact values, approximate values are rounded or estimated to a certain degree of accuracy. While they may be easier to work with in some situations, they may also introduce some level of uncertainty or inaccuracy.

What are some examples of exact values in science?

Some examples of exact values in science include the gravitational constant (G = 6.674 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2), Avogadro's number (NA = 6.022 × 10^23 mol^-1), and the speed of light (c = 299,792,458 m/s).

How can exact values be used in scientific equations?

Exact values can be used in scientific equations in place of approximate values to obtain more precise results. They can also be used to simplify equations and make them easier to work with.