Share Exam Dreams & Teeth Loosening Nightmares Here!

In summary, this conversation discusses people's dreams and what they may mean. Some people have dreams about an upcoming exam, while others have dreams about other things. There is no solid evidence to support any of these claims, and dreams are still mostly unknown to scientists.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
strangerep said:
If I tried to do a serious exam now under time pressure I'd probably collapse with a heart attack.

This led me to wonder how many people here have exam dreams, maybe even years or decades after they last had to sit an exam? Share your wierd or amusing exam dreams here!

Apart from the actual exam itself, I often dream that I am enrolled for some course with an exam looming soon. My class notes and text books are illegible, incomprehensible or just falling to tatters. Plus I somehow can't find my room in the students' hostel.

As an aside, how many people have "teeth loosening and about to fall off" dreams? For me these are highly reaslistic, in terms of how it feels to rotate slightly and press the hanging tooth into place with one's tongue.

Physics news on Phys.org
It must be a common dream; I certainly have them fairly often. It is not so much a feeling of panic about the upcoming exam, it's usually more of a feeling of dissapointment that I didn't schedule my studying well, and missed lots of assignments because I was too busy with other classes or other things.

No big deal; wake up and realize that it was a dream, and dismiss it and go back to sleep.

Swamp Thing said:
This led me to wonder how many people here have exam dreams, maybe even years or decades after they last had to sit an exam?
Yes, I have similar recurring exam dreams, though not very often. It's always my year-12 German exam (which is curious because that material has now mostly evaporated from my memory through non-use). Then, in the dream, I ask myself: "Why am I doing this exam again? I already did it and got a good grade". Bizarre.

Swamp Thing said:
Apart from the actual exam itself, I often dream that I am enrolled for some course with an exam looming soon. My class notes and text books are illegible, incomprehensible or just falling to tatters.
One time I dreamed I was doing Hons Elec Eng again, but couldn't follow any of the math in the class. This is seriously bizarre because math was one of my strongest assets during Elec Eng. (I'd previously completed Hons Applied Math.)

Swamp Thing said:
As an aside, how many people have "teeth loosening and about to fall off" dreams?
I've never had that, but I occasionally have dreams of another... "appendage" that becomes detachable. :eek:

Then there's the endless rising/raging water dreams, but at my age that's just my subconscious telling me I need to wake up and visit the bathroom. :oldfrown:

More recently, my water dreams have become populated with fearsomely huge monsters patrolling the murky depths. (Yes, that's just another variant of "you need to visit the bathroom".) :oldsmile:

Then there's the oft-recurring dreams where I'm able to fly, sometimes by willpower but more often by a swimming action or flapping my arms. Maybe I was bird in a previous life. :olduhh:

Unfortunately, there seems to be no scientifically-sound studies of what dreams mean - in the sense of what different types of dreams are correlated with in the person's body or experience. All the dream lore I could find seems to be just crackpot stories, without any foundation in evidence.

The human brain/mind is truly bizarre.

1. What causes exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares?

There is no one specific cause for these types of dreams, but they are often linked to stress and anxiety. The brain uses dreams as a way to process emotions and experiences from daily life, so it is not uncommon for these types of dreams to occur during times of high stress, such as before an exam.

2. Are exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares common?

Yes, these types of dreams are very common. Many people experience exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares at some point in their lives, especially during times of stress or change.

3. Can exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent these types of dreams, managing stress and anxiety can help reduce their frequency. Practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, can also be helpful in preventing these types of dreams.

4. Do exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares have any significance?

These types of dreams are often a reflection of our fears and anxieties. Exam dreams can represent a fear of failure or not being prepared, while teeth loosening nightmares can symbolize a loss of control or power. However, they do not necessarily have any deeper meaning and are simply a product of our subconscious mind.

5. How can exam dreams and teeth loosening nightmares be interpreted?

Interpretation of dreams is subjective and can vary from person to person. It is important to consider the context of the dream and any personal associations or emotions attached to it. Consulting with a therapist or dream interpreter may also provide insight into the meaning of these types of dreams.