Exam II frustrations (University Physics - Mechanics and Heat)

In summary, the speaker reflects on a mistake they made on a recent exam and how it has made them doubt their abilities. They share their experience of making a similar mistake in the past and offer advice to prevent future errors. They also mention their academic background and current courses.
Shackleford
Well, as I was driving to Wal-mart tonight, I began to think about a particular problem and realized I did it incorrectly. It was an Atwood Machine question. In writing out Newton's Laws, in a split-second decision, I didn't add the other mass when figuring out the acceleration of the system. It's not that I forgot. It's that I came to the quick decision that I didn't have to. Obviously, I was supposed to. I had to reason my way through this problem. Maybe I'll get partial credit. It makes me wonder what else I did incorrectly. I'm not just being like this for attention or anything. I was genuinely pissed off when I realized this. I'm a physics major, and I want to do damn-near perfectly in my physics courses. And I'm not. I made a 100 on the stupid short quiz covering most of this material.

Physics news on Phys.org
Making mistakes is a part of life. All you can do is take every preventative measure possible to reduce the likeliness of blundering. Get a good nights sleep, don't stress your brain before the exam, and work slowly and question everything you do.

I went into a final last term with an ~A+ and walked out with a B+ (2% from an A) due to one stupid error. I learned my lesson though. Take the fact that this happened to you on a midterm as a blessing and take your lesson to the finals.

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
Making mistakes is a part of life. All you can do is take every preventative measure possible to reduce the likeliness of blundering. Get a good nights sleep, don't stress your brain before the exam, and work slowly and question everything you do.

I went into a final last term with an ~A+ and walked out with a B+ (2% from an A) due to one stupid error. I learned my lesson though.

Well, I was a bit tired before class, but I don't think that played much of a factor. I guess I'm just doubting myself, my intellect, abilities, and so forth.

If you aced the quiz that covered the same material you have no reason to doubt your intellect. Everyone makes mistakes, smart people learn from them. Plus it sounds like you did fine on the midterm except one question. You're fine man.

If you aced the quiz that covered the same material you have no reason to doubt your intellect. Everyone makes mistakes, smart people learn from them.

Yeah, but I should have aced the stupid exam then. The quiz wasn't TOO terribly difficult. It was pretty straightforward with applying the concepts.

Striving for 100% will drive you nuts. Just try your best, there's nothing else you can do. I really don't think you have reason to doubt yourself.

Plus it sounds like you did fine on the midterm except one question. You're fine man.

I don't know about that. lol. Chances are I screwed something else up and lost valuable points. The stupid exam only has 6 questions. We were told to omit one, but I went ahead and did all 6.

Striving for 100% will drive you nuts. Just try your best, there's nothing else you can do. I really don't think you have reason to doubt yourself.

Well, this is like all I have.

What year are you in?

What year are you in?

Well, after this semester, I'll have 51 hours. I've taken pretty much all of my cores. I'm in Cal III and this physics course. I suppose it doesn't matter that the last physics course I took was in high school in 2002.

1. What are some common frustrations students face when studying for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat?

Some common frustrations students face when studying for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat include not understanding key concepts, struggling with problem-solving techniques, feeling overwhelmed by the amount of material to cover, not having enough time to study, and feeling anxious or stressed about the exam.

2. How can I better understand key concepts in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat to prepare for Exam II?

To better understand key concepts in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat, it is important to attend lectures, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from the professor or a tutor can also aid in understanding the material more deeply.

3. What are some effective problem-solving techniques for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat?

Some effective problem-solving techniques for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, using diagrams and visual aids, and regularly practicing problems to build familiarity with different types of questions.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat?

To manage your time effectively while studying for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize studying the most challenging material first, and take breaks to avoid burnout. It is also important to avoid procrastination and start studying early to avoid last-minute cramming.

5. What are some tips for reducing anxiety and stress while preparing for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat?

Some tips for reducing anxiety and stress while preparing for Exam II in University Physics - Mechanics and Heat include practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation, getting enough sleep and exercise, and maintaining a balanced diet. It is also important to stay organized, stay positive, and seek help if needed.