1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exam Problem: Rounds per minute into Megabits per second

1. Jul 20, 2005 #1
    Hi, guys! :approve:
    My exam comes in one week, so I need your urgent help :cry:
    I found out, that one of the problems in the exam will be about convertion between rounds per minute (of a CD or HDD) and megabits per second (as reading speed). I have no idea what is the dependance between those two measures. :confused: Does anyone of you know a formula for convertion or have any clues how to derive such a formula.... Help?!
    Greatly appreciate your concern :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2
    You would need to find out how many megabits can be read in one revolution. Then it should be pretty easy, but without that information, I have a feeling this problem is impossible.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3
    OK, if the question asks about how many megabits are read in one revolution, you say that "it should be pretty easy". Still, it is very foggy for me :-). Perhaps you could provide a small tip? ;)

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's not what he said. he said you need to know how many bits can be read in one revolution. I presume that by "rounds per minute" you mean "revolutions per minute". Multiply that by "bytes read per revolution".

6. Jul 21, 2005 #5
    Hehe... nice point of view! :rofl:
    However, this, being an exam problem, is assumed to be a little bit more complicated than simple arithmetics. :rolleyes:
    I think it is enough to know the radius, the angular velocity (or frequency) and the time to read one bit (or distance b/n bits)... Once having these variables, how should I combine the megabits and the revolutions?! :confused: This is my problem
    Thanks for your answers :shy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?