Does Every Field Have a Subfield Isomorphic to Q or Z mod p?

• Thread starter ECmathstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses a true or false question about fields and their subfields isomorphic to Q or Z mod p. One person initially thought the statement was true, but later realized they were mistaken. The other person explains that every field has a subfield {0,1}, also known as the prime subfield, which is isomorphic to Q or Z_p. This is easily shown by looking at the subring generated by 1 and considering the properties of fields.
ECmathstudent
I just wrote an exam in Algebra II, and one of our true or false questions got me thinking. Does every field have a subfield which is isomorphic to the Q or Z mod p? I put it as true, for the wrong reasons, vaguely remembering a similar statement about integral domains and mixing it up. So, after the exam I was sure I was wrong.
But doesn't every field have the subfield {0,1}? Wouldn't this make the statement true, if somewhat vacuously?

Physics news on Phys.org
it's called the prime subfield, which is the intersection of all subfields of the given field. it's isomorphic to Q or Z_p depending on whether the field has characteristic 0 or p

Oh, thanks. I don't have a book anymore, when I tried to look it up on google I wasn't really getting any results.

yes.

it is quite easy to show this.

suppose 1+1+...+1 (n times) = 0.

then the subring generated by 1 is isomorphic to Zn.

however, since F is a field, none of the elements:

1, 1+1, 1+1+1, etc. can be a zero-divisor, which forces n to be prime.

on the other hand, suppose that n1 is never 0, for all n in Z+.

then the subring generated by 1 is isomorphic to the integers, and

any field containing the integers also contains the field of quotients of the integers, which is Q.

(also {0,1} is not a field, unless 1+1 = 0).

I would approach this question from a mathematical perspective. First, let's define some terms. A field is a mathematical structure that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. For example, the set of rational numbers (Q) and the set of integers modulo a prime number (Z mod p) are both fields. A subfield is a subset of a field that is also a field, meaning it satisfies the same properties as the larger field.

Now, to answer the question, we need to consider the properties of fields and subfields. It is true that every field has a subfield isomorphic to Q or Z mod p. This is because every field contains a subset that is isomorphic (meaning structurally equivalent) to Q or Z mod p. This subset could be the entire field itself, or a smaller subset such as {0,1} in the case of Q.

However, it is important to note that not all subfields of a field are necessarily isomorphic to Q or Z mod p. For example, the field of real numbers (R) does not have a subfield isomorphic to Q, as Q is a proper subset of R. So while every field has the potential to contain a subfield isomorphic to Q or Z mod p, it is not a guarantee for all subfields.

In conclusion, the statement "every field has a subfield isomorphic to Q or Z mod p" is true, but it is important to understand the properties and limitations of fields and subfields in order to fully grasp the concept.

1. What is a field in physics?

A field in physics is a physical quantity that has a value at every point in space and time. Examples of fields include gravitational, electric, and magnetic fields.

2. How are fields different from particles?

Fields are continuous and exist everywhere in space, while particles are discrete and have a specific location and energy. Particles interact with fields, and the behavior of particles can be described by the properties of the fields they interact with.

3. What is the relationship between fields and forces?

Fields can be thought of as the source of forces. For example, a charged particle will experience a force when placed in an electric field. The direction of the force is determined by the properties of the field and the charge of the particle.

4. How are fields measured?

Fields are measured using physical quantities such as force or energy. For example, the strength of an electric field can be measured by the force experienced by a test charge placed in the field. Other fields, such as gravitational fields, can be measured indirectly through their effects on objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of fields?

Fields have many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, magnetic fields are used in MRI machines for medical imaging, and electric fields are used in electronic devices such as cell phones and computers. Fields are also important in understanding natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and the behavior of celestial bodies.