Exam Questions: Solving for Pressure, Force, and Density

• Thread starter RaidersFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary: To find the area of the heel, you just need to use the formula for the area of a circle (since the heel is circular). Once you have the force and area, you can use the formula for pressure to find the answer. In summary, to find the pressure the woman exerts on the floor, use the formula for pressure (force per unit area) with the given mass and area of the heel.
RaidersFan

Homework Statement

a 47kg women balances on one heel of a high heeled show. if the heel has a radius of 1.4cm what pressure does she exert on the floor?

Homework Equations

rho=m
v

The Attempt at a Solution

= 47kg = 33.5
1.4cm

Homework Statement

The pascal principle is used to operate a dentists chair. assume that the pressure everywhere in the fluid is 13.5 kpa. if the small cylinder(piston) has an area of 0.007m(squared) and the large cylinder(piston) has an area of 0.08m(squared) calculate the force on each cylinder.

Homework Equations

i think the equation is f=af
a

=(3.14)(0.007)squared(13.5)
0.08(squared)
=.32

Homework Statement

a gold nugget weighs 1.23N in air. when suspended from a string and submerged in water its apparent weight (T) is 1.09N. calculate the density of the gold nuggett.

Homework Equations

density=mass
volume

= 1.23N
(3.14)r(squared) x h
=

Homework Statement

water enters a cylindrical pipe 3.5cm in diameter at a speed of 1.6m/s. if the pipes diameter is suddenly reduced to 2.1cm, what is the max velocity of the water moving through the smaller pipe?

Homework Equations

AV=AV

3.14(3.5)(1.6)=A(2.1)

Homework Statement

air is pushed through a forced-air furnace duct at a speed of 4.7m/s. the duct is rectangular and measure 58cm by 23cm. how fast will air move through a smaller portion of the duct that is also rectangular and measures 35cm by 23cm.

Homework Equations

AV=AV

3.14(58)V=23(4.7)

Homework Statement

a force of 19N[E] pushes a box of mass 13.2kg across a level floor at a constant speed. calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction (,U) between the two surfaces.

Homework Equations

,U=f
mg

= 19
13.2(9.80)
= 19
=0.14

i know its a lot of work there so you can do all of them or just 1 or how every many you want to. I am just struggling on these questions and my exam is tomorrow and i really need some help so if you guys are able to help me out i would really appreciate it. thanks so much for doing this guys. :smile:
oh and u can delete my other thread since i read cristos post.

Physics news on Phys.org
In response to your first question:

Pressure is defined as a force per unit area. You are given mass and, assuming the woman is on Earth, the force exerted by her shoe can easily be found by basic mechanics.

Hello, it looks like you have a variety of questions related to pressure, force, and density. I'm happy to help you work through these problems and provide some guidance.

First, let's start with the problem about the 47kg woman balancing on one heel of a high heeled shoe. You're on the right track with using the equation density = mass/volume. However, you need to consider the units for each variable. Mass should be in kilograms (kg) and volume should be in cubic meters (m^3). So, your final answer should be in units of pressure, which is pascals (Pa). I recommend converting the radius of the heel from centimeters to meters before plugging it into the equation.

For the next problem about the Pascal principle and the dentist's chair, you're correct in using the equation F = A*P, where F is force, A is area, and P is pressure. However, you need to be careful with your units. The pressure is given in kilopascals (kPa), so you need to convert it to pascals (Pa) before using it in the equation. Also, don't forget to include the units for the area (m^2) in your calculation.

Moving on to the problem about the gold nugget, you're on the right track with using the equation density = mass/volume. However, you need to consider the units again. The weight is given in Newtons (N), so you need to convert it to kilograms (kg) before using it in the equation. Also, the volume of the gold nugget is given in terms of its dimensions (radius and height), so you'll need to use the equation for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr^2h) and plug in the given values.

For the problem about the water entering a cylindrical pipe, you're correct in using the equation AV = AV. However, you need to be careful with your units again. The velocity is given in meters per second (m/s), so you need to convert it to centimeters per second (cm/s) before using it in the equation. Also, don't forget to include the units for the areas (cm^2) in your calculation.

Moving on to the problem about air being pushed through a forced-air furnace duct, you're on the right track with using the equation AV = AV. However, you need to be careful

1. What is the purpose of "Exam Questions- Need"?

The purpose of "Exam Questions- Need" is to gather and provide a set of questions that will be asked on an upcoming exam. This can help students prepare and study effectively for their exams.

2. Who creates the "Exam Questions- Need"?

The "Exam Questions- Need" is typically created by the course instructor or exam committee. They are responsible for selecting and creating questions that are relevant to the course material and learning objectives.

3. Are the "Exam Questions- Need" the exact questions that will be on the exam?

No, the "Exam Questions- Need" is a guide and may not include all of the questions that will be on the exam. It is important for students to thoroughly study all course material and not rely solely on the provided questions.

4. Can I use the "Exam Questions- Need" as my only study material?

No, it is not recommended to use the "Exam Questions- Need" as the only study material. It is important for students to review all course material and use the questions as a supplement to their studying.

5. How can I access the "Exam Questions- Need"?

The "Exam Questions- Need" is typically provided by the course instructor or can be found on the course website or learning management system. Students should also communicate with their instructor if they have trouble accessing the questions.