Flywheel Acceleration Time Calc: Solve for Time to Reach Max Speed

• Thread starter paulsberardi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Review
In summary, a flywheel is a large wheel used to store energy and can release it quickly for high power tasks. An industrial flywheel with a 1.5 m diameter and a mass of 250 kg has a maximum angular velocity of 1200 rpm. To determine how long it takes to reach top speed, the radius, mass, torque, and moment of inertia need to be known. The torque is given as 50 Nm and the equation T = I*α can be used to find the moment of inertia and then the angular acceleration to calculate the time it takes for the flywheel to reach top speed.
paulsberardi

Homework Statement

Flywheels are large, massive wheels used to store energy. They can be spun up slowly, then the wheel's energy can be released quickly to accomplish a task that demands high power. An industrial flywheel has a 1.5 m diameter and a mass of 250 kg. Its maximum angular velocity is 1200 rpm. A motor spins up the flywheel with a constant torque of 50 Nm. How long does it take the flywheel to reach top speed?

This gave me...
radius = .75m
mass = 250kg
max Angular Velocity = 125.7 radians/second
torque = 50 Nm

Homework Equations

I wasn't sure how to approach the problem. I was trying to figure out how to find angular acceleration, but unsure if that was possible. Please let me know the steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Torque T = I*α. Find the moment of inertia of the flywheel. Torque is given. Find α, and then t.

To solve for the time it takes for the flywheel to reach its maximum speed, we can use the equation T = I*alpha, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and alpha is angular acceleration. We can find the moment of inertia of the flywheel using the equation I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. Plugging in the values given, we get I = 140.625 kg*m^2.

Next, we can use the equation alpha = (omega2 - omega1)/t, where omega2 is the final angular velocity, omega1 is the initial angular velocity (which is 0 in this case), and t is the time. We can rearrange this equation to solve for t, giving us t = (omega2 - omega1)/alpha. Plugging in the values, we get t = (125.7 rad/s - 0 rad/s)/(50 Nm/140.625 kg*m^2) = 2.514 seconds.

Therefore, it would take approximately 2.514 seconds for the flywheel to reach its maximum speed of 125.7 radians per second.

1. How is the time to reach maximum speed calculated in the flywheel acceleration equation?

The time to reach maximum speed in a flywheel is calculated using the formula:
Time = (2 x π x mass x radius^2) / (torque x angular acceleration).
This equation takes into account the mass and radius of the flywheel, as well as the torque and angular acceleration applied to it.

2. What is the significance of the flywheel in this equation?

The flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to maintain a constant speed in a machine. In the flywheel acceleration equation, the flywheel's mass and radius are used to calculate the time it takes for the flywheel to reach its maximum speed.

3. How does torque affect the time to reach maximum speed in a flywheel?

Torque is a measure of the force required to rotate an object. In the flywheel acceleration equation, a higher torque will result in a faster acceleration of the flywheel, thus reducing the time it takes to reach its maximum speed.

4. Is there a maximum speed that a flywheel can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a flywheel can reach based on its size and the amount of torque and angular acceleration applied to it. If the torque or angular acceleration is too high, the flywheel may become unstable and spin out of control.

5. Can this equation be used for any type of flywheel?

Yes, this flywheel acceleration equation can be used for any type of flywheel, as long as the inputs (mass, radius, torque, and angular acceleration) are accurately measured and accounted for. However, the results may vary depending on the specific design and characteristics of the flywheel.