1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exam revision question. Help

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Exam revision question. Help!!

I have a thermodynamics exam tomorrow. This is a past exam question and i'm not doing very well with it. If anyone has any ideas please help!!

A charge enters a spark ignition engine at 330K and 1 bar, and is isentropically compressed through a ratio of 7:1. Estimate the temp and pressure at the end of the compression, taking the charge to be:
    a) pure air with constant specific heat.
    b) a stoichiometric mixture of air and octane(C8H18) with variable specific heats (neglect residual gases). :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

For part a: you will use the constant specific heat relationships. They are something like P1/P2 = (V2/V1)^k-1 note: That equation is probably not true, but the three formulas are in that same format. Knowing that compression ratio is V1/V2, you can easily plug that number into the formula given initial T and P to find final T and P.

for b: hmmmm.....partial pressures and stuff...wow, I have no idea. I guess one would find the stoichiometric ratio, I believe it's ~14:1, then go from there. That's about all the help I got for that part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?