Solving for Probability of Scoring on Each Penalty - Football Team Example

Hi Norway!I am sorry but my English is not that good. I don't understand what you don't understand. I will try to explain it in another way.If you have five penalties and you want to win five penalties you have five ways of doing that.wwwwlwlwwwwwlwwwwwlwwwwwlThere are only five ways of winning 5 penalties.If you are a computer you would say 5C5 = 5 ways of winning 5 penalties.But if you want to win 4 penalties you have 5 ways of doing that.wwwwwlwwwwwlwwwwwlwwwwwlwwwwwlThere are five ways
Norway

Homework Statement

A football team wants to have a 0,5 chance of scoring on at least 4 out of 5 penalties. What must be the probability p of scoring on each penalty?

Homework Equations

[tex]{n \choose k} \cdot p^k \cdot (1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried this:
[tex]{5 \choose 4} \cdot p^4 \cdot (1-p)^{1} \ + \ {5 \choose 5} \cdot p^5 \cdot (1-p)^{0} = 0,5[/tex]

[tex]5 \cdot p^4 \cdot (1-p) + 1 \cdot p^5 \cdot 1 = 0,5[/tex]

[tex]5p^4 - 5p^5 + p^5 = 0,5[/tex]

[tex]5p^4 - 4p^5 = 0,5[/tex]

I don't know what to do with this equation, although someone told me about Newton's approximation something. That is way above the level of this math course anyway, so I guess there is a much easier way to solve this problem. Kinda embarrassing, really, as I take a higher course but came across this problem when helping a younger student.
Hoping for all the help I can get. :-) Thanks a lot!

Damn, I don't know what's up with the Latex, but never mind that long, stupid string on the top. Apparently there's something wrong with the spacing, and it won't go away even though I remove it all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Norway said:

I don't know what to do with this equation, although someone told me about Newton's approximation something.

Hi Norway! :smile:

yes, the only way to solve that would be by approximation, or by trial-and-error with a calculator. :wink:

Hm. Is there any alternate way to solve the original problem? I'm absolutely sure that those in this course aren't expected to approximate this, and I don't think they're supposed to sit and try and fail with a calc either.

I asked this on a Norwegian math forum too, and I was told that my equation was wrong. Well - by inserting the answer given, p=0,686, the equation is correct, but I was told:

Your equation is wrong. Correct way to solve it:
[tex]{5 \choose 4} \cdot p^4 \cdot p^1 \geq 0,5[/tex]

I don't quite understand why this inequality should give the right answer - if it does at all. Does anybody bother to explain?

Thanks a lot.

Hi there Norway.

The best way to think about this is to picture a state with two entries. On and off or win and no win.

Now the best way to think about this problem is to picture multiple independent events.

So we start off with representing a state with Win = 0.5 and Lose = 0.5.

We then move to discussing how we can find the probability of getting 4 events that are
a win and one that is a loss.

If we have four out of five wins then we will have the following configuration of events

LWWWW
WLWWW
WWLWW
WWWLW
WWWWL

So we have five possible combinations of winning four out of five times. This is denoted as 5C4 = 5 ways of winning four out of five times.

For independent events we multiply the probabilities together. This is based on the multiplication rule whereby multiplying probabilities together is ok because each event is independent of the next. If you learn further statistics you will find that in some cases events aren't independent but in this case if you think about it closely you will realize that each win is independent of every other win or loss.

So we have 5c4 ways of representing five wins and we have 0.5^4*0.5 probability using the multiplication rule.

Therefore the total probability is

P = 5C4 * (0.5)^4*(0.5)

I think that most of it should be ok to understand but they do not teach properly in high school and it usually takes a while until you get to university to learn this stuff properly.

Hope that helps.

Norway said:
… I was told that my equation was wrong. Well - by inserting the answer given, p=0,686, the equation is correct, but I was told:

Your equation is wrong. Correct way to solve it:
[tex]{5 \choose 4} \cdot p^4 \cdot p^1 \geq 0,5[/tex]

I don't quite understand why this inequality should give the right answer

Nor do I! :rolleyes:

There seems no sense behind it at all.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I do understand the logic behind nCk and binomial probability etc., and that's how I got to my equation, which seems correct. However, because of the level of this math course vs the level of solving this equation, I believe there must be an easier way.

I follow you all the way until here:
chiro said:
So we have 5c4 ways of representing five wins and we have 0.5^4*0.5 probability using the multiplication rule.

Therefore the total probability is

P = 5C4 * (0.5)^4*(0.5)

Why do you insert 0,5 here?
The total probability, i.e. the probability for scoring at least 4 out of 5 goals, is 0,5. That means that the probability p for scoring on each penalty must be a lot bigger, and I get the equation:

Sorry if I'm being difficult, I just want to understand what's going on here - and if there is an easier way - because as I said, this is a fairly easy math course, intended for young students that are moving on to study languages, law, sociology and other subjects like that (not maths).

[tex]5p^4 - 4p^5 = 0.5[/tex] seems correct to me as well - I can't argue with your reasoning from the first post. And in fact I can't see how one could justify using the "correct" inequality you were given when it gives the wrong answer! (I wrote a little computer simulator to check that .686 is the correct result)

Norway said:
Thanks a lot for your replies!

I do understand the logic behind nCk and binomial probability etc., and that's how I got to my equation, which seems correct. However, because of the level of this math course vs the level of solving this equation, I believe there must be an easier way.

I follow you all the way until here:

Why do you insert 0,5 here?
The total probability, i.e. the probability for scoring at least 4 out of 5 goals, is 0,5. That means that the probability p for scoring on each penalty must be a lot bigger, and I get the equation:

Sorry if I'm being difficult, I just want to understand what's going on here - and if there is an easier way - because as I said, this is a fairly easy math course, intended for young students that are moving on to study languages, law, sociology and other subjects like that (not maths).

I assumed a probability of a loss being 0.5 because a win was 0.5. Since there are only two events we use the probability of the complement of the event is equal to P(Complement(A)) = 1 - P(A). So basically if an event says E = Winning event which is P(E) = 0.5 then a loss must be 1 - 0.5. You can do this by drawing Venn diagrams and making the univeral set equal to "1" or the "whole probability space". I would just ask your tutor about this and I'm sure they can explain it to you.

Hope that helps.

I don't think it was mentioned anywhere that the probability of a win is 0.5. I'm assuming you treat each goal scored on a penalty kick as a 'win'. They denoted that as an unknown 'p' instead.

Yup, Defennder, that's what I was thinking too. The guy with the inequality apologized deeply, by the way, and admitted that he was very wrong there. I'm still confused, though, because as I've said numerous times now, this course has just barely introduced binomial probability, and they are currently learning about solving second degree polynomials. There is simply no way they are supposed to solve that fifth degree equation. There has to be a trick to solve it easier than to set up my fifth degree equation! - Or?

Not only are they not supposed to solve a quintic equation, most quintic equations are not solvable analytically, this one included. Are you allowed to use a graphical calculator during the exam? If so I would wager you are meant to use it to find the value for p numerically.
To clarify there exists no analytical solution to your problem regardless of the road you take so either you're supposed to not solve it at all or do it graphically/numerically.

1. What is probability and why is it important in exams?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is important in exams because it helps us make predictions and decisions based on available information. It is also used to analyze data and draw conclusions.

2. How do you calculate the probability of an event?

The probability of an event can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(event) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual measurements and observations. Theoretical probability can be calculated before an event occurs, while experimental probability is calculated after an event has occurred.

4. How can probability be used to solve real-world problems?

Probability can be used in various real-world scenarios such as predicting the outcome of a sports game, determining the chances of winning a lottery, and assessing the risk of certain events happening. It can also be used in decision making and risk analysis.

5. What are some common misconceptions about probability?

Some common misconceptions about probability include thinking that past events can influence the outcome of future events, assuming that all outcomes are equally likely, and confusing correlation with causation. It is important to understand the basic principles and rules of probability to avoid these misconceptions.