Example in Spivak's Calculus

The problem was that overstrike tags were being used to strike through the text (as in deletions in a document), but the text was not being unstruck, so the overstrike source code was showing in the rendered text.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Consider the function
$$
f(x) := \begin{cases}
0, & if~ x \in (0,1) - \mathbb{Q} \\
\frac{1}{q}, & if~ x = \frac{p}{q} \in (0,1) \cap \mathbb{Q} \mbox{ in lowest terms. } \\
\end{cases}
$$

In his Calculus book, Spivak shows us that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = 0## for all ##a \in (0,1)##. I am having trouble with a few of his remarks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, he "let ##n## be a natural number so large that ##\frac{1}{n} \le \epsilon##." This is fine, I suppose; this is just the Archimedean property, although I have always taken ##\frac{1}{n}## strictly less than ##\epsilon##. He then goes on to say "that the only numbers ##x## for which ##|f(x)-0| < \epsilon## could be false are:

$$\frac{1}{n},...,\frac{n-1}{n}$$"

I find this rather perplexing...Why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## satisfy ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##, for example? Spivak's aim seems to be choosing a ##\delta## such that any ##x## in ##(a-\delta, a+\delta)## is not anyone of the numbers in the above list but is smaller, so that ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##. But, as I ask, why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## work?

PS I can't figure out why there are horizontal lines through my text.
Mod note: Fixed this. For some reason the overstruck text was surrounded by overstrike BB code tags -- [ s] and [ /s]. I removed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Consider the function
$$
f(x) := \begin{cases}
0, & if~ x \in (0,1) - \mathbb{Q} \\
\frac{1}{q}, & if~ x = \frac{p}{q} \in (0,1) \cap \mathbb{Q} \mbox{ in lowest terms. } \\
\end{cases}
$$

In his Calculus book, Spivak shows us that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = 0## for all ##a \in (0,1)##. I am having trouble with a few of his remarks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, he "let ##n## be a natural number so large that ##\frac{1}{n} \le \epsilon##." This is fine, I suppose; this is just the Archimedean property, although I have always taken ##\frac{1}{n}## strictly less than ##\epsilon##. He then goes on to say "that the only numbers ##x## for which ##|f(x)-0| < \epsilon## could be false are:

$$\frac{1}{n},...,\frac{n-1}{n}$$"

I find this rather perplexing...Why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## satisfy ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##, for example? Spivak's aim seems to be choosing a ##\delta## such that any ##x## in ##(a-\delta, a+\delta)## is not anyone of the numbers in the above list but is smaller, so that ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##. But, as I ask, why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## work?

PS I can't figure out why there are horizontal lines through my text.

I had such horizontal lines in one of my posts about two weeks ago. The only cure was to log off and re-boot my computer. It worked for me, maybe not for you.

Likes Bashyboy
Ray Vickson said:
I had such horizontal lines in one of my posts about two weeks ago. The only cure was to log off and re-boot my computer. It worked for me, maybe not for you.
See my added note in the first post of this thread.

Likes Bashyboy

1. What is an example in Spivak's Calculus?

An example in Spivak's Calculus is a specific problem or scenario used to illustrate a concept or principle in calculus. It typically involves solving for a specific value or applying a method or formula to a given situation.

2. What is the purpose of examples in Spivak's Calculus?

The purpose of examples in Spivak's Calculus is to provide concrete applications of abstract concepts, making them easier to understand and remember. They also help students practice and apply their knowledge to different types of problems.

3. How are examples in Spivak's Calculus different from exercises?

Examples in Spivak's Calculus are specifically chosen and designed to demonstrate a particular concept or method, while exercises are meant to test and reinforce understanding of multiple concepts. Examples often have step-by-step solutions provided, while exercises may not.

4. Can I skip over examples in Spivak's Calculus?

While it is possible to skip over examples in Spivak's Calculus, it is not recommended. Examples are an important part of the learning process and can help solidify understanding of key concepts. It is best to at least read through the examples and attempt to solve them before moving on.

5. Where can I find examples in Spivak's Calculus?

Examples can be found throughout Spivak's Calculus textbook, typically within the chapters that introduce and explain new concepts. They may also be included in practice problem sets at the end of each chapter. Some online resources may also provide additional examples for further practice.