1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example in Spivak's Calculus

1. Dec 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the function
    $$
    f(x) := \begin{cases}
    0, & if~ x \in (0,1) - \mathbb{Q} \\
    \frac{1}{q}, & if~ x = \frac{p}{q} \in (0,1) \cap \mathbb{Q} \mbox{ in lowest terms. } \\
    \end{cases}
    $$

In his Calculus book, Spivak shows us that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = 0## for all ##a \in (0,1)##. I am having trouble with a few of his remarks
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First, he "let ##n## be a natural number so large that ##\frac{1}{n} \le \epsilon##." This is fine, I suppose; this is just the Archimedean property, although I have always taken ##\frac{1}{n}## strictly less than ##\epsilon##. He then goes on to say "that the only numbers ##x## for which ##|f(x)-0| < \epsilon## could be false are:

$$\frac{1}{n},....,\frac{n-1}{n}$$"

I find this rather perplexing...Why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## satisfy ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##, for example? Spivak's aim seems to be choosing a ##\delta## such that any ##x## in ##(a-\delta, a+\delta)## is not any one of the numbers in the above list but is smaller, so that ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##. But, as I ask, why wouldn't ##x = \frac{1}{n}## work?

PS I can't figure out why there are horizontal lines through my text.
    Mod note: Fixed this. For some reason the overstruck text was surrounded by overstrike BB code tags -- [ s] and [ /s]. I removed them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had such horizontal lines in one of my posts about two weeks ago. The only cure was to log off and re-boot my computer. It worked for me, maybe not for you.

4. Dec 31, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

See my added note in the first post of this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted