Example of a variable capacitor input op-amp to voltage....

In summary: First read up on "how to build a capacitance meter" or "measure capacitance" to get some ideas. Measuring capacitance requires a time or frequency based solution. a capacitive probe being measured by a resistive ladder adc. 0-5 volt range, response time not important, 10 bit accuracy but the increments will be determined by the probes range which is unknown. did I say resistive ladder o:) I was think of a dac, prob successive approximation but I'm not looking at the data sheet. did I say resistive ladder o:) I was think of a dac, prob successive approximation but I'm not looking at the data sheet.
thankz
example of a varible capacitor input op-amp to voltage level circuit.

I'm not sure how to turn reactance to a voltage level using an op-amp? :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe you could try to explain what you are doing in the initial post. What capacitance range, what accuracy, how fast to respond, what voltage range, etc.

First read up on "how to build a capacitance meter" or "measure capacitance" to get some ideas. Measuring capacitance requires a time or frequency based solution.

a capacitive probe being measured by a resistive ladder adc. 0-5 volt range, response time not important, 10 bit accuracy but the increments will be determined by the probes range which is unknown.

did I say resistive ladder o:) I was think of a dac, prob successive approximation but I'm not looking at the data sheet.

thankz said:
did I say resistive ladder o:) I was think of a dac, prob successive approximation but I'm not looking at the data sheet.

that doesn't make sense

thankz said:
a capacitive probe being measured by a resistive ladder adc. 0-5 volt range, response time not important,

that did

if you want people to help you, you need to explain your project more clearly

Dave

thankz said:
I'm not sure how to turn reactance to a voltage level using an op-amp?
One could apply direct current and measure rate of voltage rise, or measure voltage after known charge has accumulated,
or apply voltage with known dv/dt and measure current,

this circuit's period of oscillation will be in proportion to capacitance... and slope inversely so.
One could perhaps follow it with a differentiator and precision rectifier to arrive at inverse of C...

triangle-wave-generator.png

you've given no hint what you're trying to do.

thankz said:
example of a varible capacitor input op-amp to voltage level circuit.
I could interpret this as relating to varactor diode chopper opamps from 1950's, but i doubt it's what you meant.

.As Davenn observed, a question well stated is half answered and yours is neither.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a variable capacitor?

A variable capacitor is an electronic component that can be adjusted to change the capacitance, or ability to store electric charge, in a circuit. It is commonly used in radio frequency circuits to tune the frequency of the circuit.

2. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic amplifier that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in analog circuits to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and differentiation.

3. How does an op-amp work with a variable capacitor input?

In an op-amp circuit with a variable capacitor input, the input voltage is fed into the non-inverting input of the op-amp, while the variable capacitor is connected to the inverting input. The op-amp then amplifies the voltage difference between the two inputs, producing an output voltage that is proportional to the capacitance of the variable capacitor.

4. What is the purpose of using a variable capacitor input with an op-amp?

The variable capacitor allows for precise tuning of the circuit's frequency, as the capacitance can be adjusted to match the desired frequency. This is useful in applications such as radio receivers, filters, and oscillators.

5. Can a variable capacitor input op-amp be used for other purposes besides frequency tuning?

Yes, a variable capacitor input op-amp can also be used for other applications such as voltage control, filtering, and signal conditioning. It can also be used in conjunction with other components to create more complex circuits and perform more advanced functions.