Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of an absolutely continuous function on [a,b] whose derivative is unbounded.

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    What is an example of an absolutely continuous function on [a,b] whose derivative is unbounded?

I know that the function f: [-1,1] defined by f(x) = x^2sin(1/x^2) for x ≠ 0, f(0) = 0 is continuous and its derivative f'(x) = 2xsin(1/x^2)-2/xcos(1/x^2) for x ≠ 0, f'(0) = 0 is unbounded on [-1,1]. But this function isn't absolutely continuous...

Any help would be much appreciated : )

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Re: Example of an absolutely continuous function on [a,b] whose derivative is unbound

We can construct another example along the same lines. Consider the following:

[tex]f(x)=\begin{cases} x^2 \sin (|x|^{-3/2}) & \text{if }x \neq 0 \\ 0 & \text{if } x=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Computing the derivative yields:

[tex]f'(x) = \begin{cases} 2x \sin (|x|^{-3/2}) - \frac{3}{2} \operatorname{sgn}(x) |x|^{-1/2} \cos(|x|^{-3/2}) & \text{if } x \neq 0 \\ 0 & \text{if } x=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Since the derivative is integrable on [-1, 1], f is absolutely continuous on that interval.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Re: Example of an absolutely continuous function on [a,b] whose derivative is unbound

Thank you for your help. One question: How I do know that the derivative of that function is integrable? If f' were bounded, then the fact that it is only discontinuous at x = 0 would make f' Reimann integrable, and Reimann integrability implies Lebesgue integrability for bounded functions. But in this case, f' is not bounded, so how do I show that it is Lebesgue integrable?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

f' is obviously measurable, so you only have to show that the integral of the absolute value is finite. But we have:

[tex]\begin{align}\int_{-1}^{1} |f'(x)| \ dx & \leq \int_{-1}^{1} 2|x| |\sin(|x|^{-3/2})| + \frac{3}{2}|x|^{-1/2} |\cos(|x|^{-3/2})| \ dx \\ &\leq \int_{-1}^{1} 2 + \frac{3}{2} |x|^{-1/2} \ dx \\ & = 4 + \frac{3}{2} \int_{-1}^{1} |x|^{-1/2}\ dx \\ & = 4 + 3 \int_{0}^{1} x^{-1/2} dx \\ & = 4 + 6 \sqrt{x} \Big\vert_{0}^{1}\\ & = 10 < \infty \end{align}[/tex]

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5

Aha. Thank you! I knew that if a bounded function is Reimann integrable then the Reimann integral and the Lebesgue integral of the function are equal. However, I always forget that this can be extended to unbounded functions as long as the Reimann integral is finite.

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook