Exploring Lagrangians that Cannot be Transformed with Legendre

In summary, the condition necessary to make the L to H transformation possible is that the Lagrangian does not include the time derivative of the 4-vector potential. However, if you haven't chosen a gauge, the generalized coordinates q_i in this case are the four components of the 4-vector potential. This means that the determinant of L will vanish, and most of the "minor determinants" will not be.
irycio
Hi!
Our TA told us, that it may be not always possible to change lagrangian into hamiltonian using Legendre transformation. As far as I'm concerned the only such possibility is that we can not substitute velocity (dx/dt) with momenta and location(s). And so, we've been tryging to come up with an idea of such terms in lagrangian that would not allow us to calculate the velocity explicitly. Now, of course, one can think of terms like [tex] (\frac{dx}{dt})^5+\alpha (\frac{dx}{dt})^4+...[/tex] and so on, but they do not seem very physical to me ;).
And hence my question-do you guys know any examples of real-life :D lagrangians that wouldn't be subject to Legendre transformation?

Cheers and Mery Christmas :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello irycio,

I found on wikipedia an obvious condition necessary to make the L to H transformation possible:

6391d1c795c44dd7782010282a320a63.png

see there: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre_transformation#Hamilton-Lagrange_mechanics

Would there be some real-world examples where this condition is violated?

Michel

Just found this: http://www.worldscibooks.com/etextbook/7689/7689_chap01.pdf

You can read:

"... gauge theories are certainly the most important examples of singular Lagrangian systems ..."

I am not so familiar with this language.
I can only guess that a gauge theory involves some gauge invariance and that Maxwell's theory is the only example I know.
If this is the case, the Maxwell's theory should have a singular Lagrangian.

I remember that the quantification of Maxwell's theory is usually built on the Hamiltonian of the field.
I am almost sure that, at some point in the derivation, a specific gauge was chosen.
I can even remember that the Coulomb gauge was preffered, but I don't remember why.

Could you see why the Maxwell's theory lagrangian is singular?

Michel

My guess is that "the jacobian" will indeed be singular (0), but that most of "minor determinants" will not be,
and that chosing a specific gauge amounts to get rid a the useless degress of freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:
lalbatros said:
Could you see why the Maxwell's theory lagrangian is singular?

Consider the Lagrangian F^2 of pure Maxwell theory. F doesn't contain the time derivative of A^0, the time-component of the 4-vector potential.

If you haven't chosen a gauge, the generalized coordinates q_i in this case are the four components of A.

Since L doesn't depend on dA^0/dt, there is a whole row and a whole column in the matrix of second derivatives of L given above, that vanishes. One when i=0 and one when j=0. Thus the determinant vanishes.

Thanks torquil.
Could you explain how chosing the Coulomb gauge (or the Lorenz gauge) removes this singularity?
Thanks again

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have the time to write it up here, but I can recommend section 8.2 in Weinberg book "The quantum theory of fields, Vol.1".

Thanks torquil !
The three volumes are waiting on my shelves since a few years.
I will have a look.
Michel

1. What are Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre?

Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre are those that do not have a one-to-one correspondence between the generalized coordinates and their associated momenta. This means that the Legendre transformation cannot be used to obtain the equations of motion for these systems.

2. Why is it important to explore Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre?

Exploring Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre can provide insights into more complex physical systems that cannot be described using the traditional Legendre transformation. It can also help in developing new mathematical techniques for solving these types of problems.

3. How are Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre handled in physics?

Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre are handled using alternative mathematical approaches such as the Hamilton-Jacobi formalism or the Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics. These methods allow for a more complete description of the dynamics of these systems.

4. Can Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre be used to describe real-world systems?

Yes, Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre can be used to describe real-world physical systems. These systems may exhibit more complex behaviors that cannot be fully captured by the traditional Legendre transformation.

5. Are there any limitations to exploring Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre?

There are limitations to exploring Lagrangians that cannot be transformed with Legendre, as these systems may be more difficult to analyze and solve. Additionally, some physical systems may not have a Lagrangian that can be described using the traditional Legendre transformation.