Does the Moment of Inertia Change with Position?

In summary, the moment of inertia is a concept that can refer to both rotational motion and bending stress in materials. When discussing rotational motion, it is referred to as the mass moment of inertia, while in materials it is referred to as the second moment of area. The orientation of an object can affect its moment of inertia, and in the case of an ice cream stick, holding it vertically makes it harder to break due to the increased second moment of area. However, it is important to note that the forces acting on the stick and its ability to cope with these stresses are also important factors in determining whether it will break.
avito009
I had a discussion with my friend. He took an icecream stick and told me that if the stick was held horizontally the stick would break easily but if you held the stick vertically it would be difficult to break the stick. He said that vertically the moment of inertia is more. My question is that, does moment of inertia change if the position is changed? I think yes since r is the distance from centre of mass. Also can we use the term moment of inertia for non rotational motion?.

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia depends on two directions, the direction you are trying to rotate something and the direction the something is oriented. (In more mathematical language, the moment of inertia is a second order tensor.)

That being said, the moment of inertia is not what is important for whether your stick breaks or not. The forces acting on it and the resulting internal stresses are what will determine this along with the stick's ability to cope with these stresses.

avito009 said:
I had a discussion with my friend. He took an icecream stick and told me that if the stick was held horizontally the stick would break easily but if you held the stick vertically it would be difficult to break the stick. He said that vertically the moment of inertia is more. My question is that, does moment of inertia change if the position is changed? I think yes since r is the distance from centre of mass. Also can we use the term moment of inertia for non rotational motion?.
There are two "moments of inertia" which are dealt with commonly. The one you are thinking of is actually the "mass moment of inertia", or the inertia in the formula T = Iα, which relates applied torque to angular acceleration.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

In strength of materials, the bending of beams and other elements uses a related concept, called the "second moment of area", and is more commonly if confusingly also referred to as the "moment of inertia" of the cross section of the beam. The second moment of area is proportional to the cube of the depth of the cross section, so that it is relatively easy to break an ice cream stick which is held flat and bending the ends, while it is much harder to break the same stick when held with the longer dimension in the vertical direction.

Bending stress σ = M*y / I

where

M is the bending moment
y is the distance from the neutral axis to the location where bending stress is computed
I is the second moment of area for the member cross section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area

SteamKing said:
if confusingly also referred to as the "moment of inertia" of the cross section of the beam
Yes. A shocking bit of sloppy description. And all because the equation takes the same Mathematical form. Tu tut; you Mechanical Engineers!
I thought you had gone far enough with your male and female connectors and bastard files.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It depends on the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For a continuous mass distribution, the moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or surface.

3. What is the unit of moment of inertia?

The unit of moment of inertia depends on the unit of mass and the unit of distance used in the calculation. In the SI system, the unit of moment of inertia is kilogram meter squared (kg⋅m²).

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

Moment of inertia affects rotational motion by determining the amount of torque (rotational force) required to change an object's rotational motion. Objects with larger moment of inertia require more torque to change their rotation, making them harder to accelerate or decelerate.

5. What are some examples of moment of inertia in everyday life?

Some examples of moment of inertia in everyday life include spinning a top or a bicycle wheel, swinging a bat or a golf club, and a figure skater spinning on ice. In each of these cases, the moment of inertia affects the ease and stability of the rotational motion.