1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example of Projection

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a subspace W of a vector space V such that there are two projections on W along two distinct subspaces.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried looking into Euclidean geometry spaces (R3 and R2) but no matter what subspace W I choose, there is only one subspace along which W projects. For example, if my vector space is (x,y,z) and my subspace W is (x,y,0), then by the properties of subspaces in projection, the other subspace must be (0,0,z). How is it possible to get two distinct subspaces along which W projects, and still have a direct sum of the same vector space?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What? One of us is completely misunderstanding the problem. You said "Give an example of a subspace W of a vector space V such that there are two projections on W along two distinct subspaces." Let V= R3, W= {(x,y,0}). Then the projections (x,y,z)->(x, 0, 0) and (x,y,z)-> (0, y, 0) are projections on W along different subspaces. The orthogonal complement of W, (0, 0, z) has nothing to do with the problem.

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    I thought that by definition, projection only works if V (vector space) = W (one subspace) (+) W' (another subspace) [i.e. V is the direct sum of two subspaces] - so when the question asks for two projections on W along two distinct subspaces, wouldn't the "distinct subspaces" each have to add to W to yield V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook