1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples and counterexamples

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    What would be an example (or c/ex)of a closed and bounded but not compact subset C of a complete metric space and why?

What would be an example of a sequence of functions which converges in L^2([0,1]), but which does not converge pointwise almost everywhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Can you find an example complete metric space that contains a bounded but not totally bounded closed set? Why will this help?

2. Think about this: how does convergence in the L^2 norm work?

4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    *I can only think about the metric space ([0,1],d*) where d* is the discrete metric. [0,1] is bounded but not totally bounded.
    I know [0,1] is closed but I'm not sure if ([0,1],d*) is complete. (I know a space is complete if every Cauchy sequence in there converges).
    I guess since a metric space is compact iff it is complete and totally bounded., we get that [0,1] is closed and bounded, but since it is not totally bounded, it cannot be compact.

*I think (fn) converges to f in L^2([0,1]) if lim as n tends to infinity of integral of |fn-f|^2 dm is 0.
    My problem is that I cannot think of a not really complicated example.

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup.

We can come up with a simple example where f_n -> 0 in L^2[0,1] but f_n doesn't converge pointwise anywhere. Here's how: let f_1 = characteristic function of [0,1/2], f_2 = characteristic function of [1/2,1], f_3 = characteristic function of [0,1/3], f_4 = characteristic function of [1/3,2/3], f_5 = characteristic function of [2/3,1], and so on. I'll let you check that this does the job.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    Thanks morphism it really helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?