1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Examples of emergence?

1. Dec 28, 2017 #1
    For a school project, I've got to choose a subject. I chose "Emergence", but I have to narrow it down a little bit.
    So, that's why I'm creating this topic.

The definition of emergence that I use:
    By emergence, I mean the fact that proprieties of one scale implies other proprieties by changing scale. This process is called emergence.

My question :
    Do you have any example of emergence that may be interesting to study?

For this subject, I'd like:
    - To show mathematically that one theory implies proprieties in another scale.
    - that it has to deal with the term "interaction".
    - And if possible, to make some experiment.

I hope my question is clear enough (and I'm sorry if I made some mistakes in English, I tried not to...).

Thanks in advance to all :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  4. Dec 28, 2017 #3
    Thanks for your answer. I already read this, but I'm looking for more specific example.
    For example, it is said that "The laws of classical mechanics can be said to emerge as a limiting case from the rules of quantum mechanics applied to large enough masses": do you have any example of this?

5. Dec 28, 2017 #4
    I think the implication of emergence is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Classical mechanics doesn't "emerge" from QM in the same sense .

6. Dec 28, 2017 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What about temperature and pressure?

7. Dec 28, 2017 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Interesting" is subjective, but a few examples are:

glass transition
    biological signalling networks
    left-handed/negative refractive index materials
    large-scale coherent structures in turbulent flow

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted