Examples of non abelian p-group

• Thread starter samkolb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a principal series for a p-group where the subgroups have orders that are consecutive powers of p. Examples of non abelian p-groups are also provided, such as the group D_4 of rotations and symmetries of a square and the quaternion group Q. Other possible examples are mentioned, including the group D_8 of rotations and symmetries of an octagon, Z_2 x D_4, and Z_2 x Q. The possibility of using semidirect products to find more examples is also mentioned.
samkolb
i'm working on a problem that asks me to find a principal series for a p-group where the subgroups in the series have orders consecutive powers of p.

To help me think about this problem, I would like one or more examples of non abelian p-groups to work with.

The only non abelian groups I've seen are permutation groups, alternating group, and groups of rotations and symmetries of geometric objects like the square, traingle, and cube. None of these are p-groups. Can anyone give an example of a nonabelian p-group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually the group D_4 of rotations and symmetries of a square is a nonabelian 2-group (it has order 8). The other nonabelian group of order 8 is the quaternion group Q. So here are two examples.

What else is there... A group G of order p^2 is necessarily abelian: Z(G) is nontrivial so G/Z(G) is either trivial or cyclic of prime order, and since the latter case can't happen, we must have that G=Z(G).

So the next candidates will have order 16. The group D_8 of rotations and symmetries of an octagon is one such nonabelian group. We also get two freebies from the order 8 case: take Z_2 x D_4 and Z_2 x Q. There are probably some more.

If you continue this way you can get a good bunch of concrete nonabelian p-groups (especially 2-groups). For a more abstract approach, you can try taking semidirect products of things.

(And for infinite p-groups you'll probably want to approach this differently.)

do you know about semi direct products? they are described in my webnotes for math 843. or in hungerford.

What is a non abelian p-group?

A non abelian p-group is a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of a group, with the additional condition that the order of the elements in the group is a power of a prime number, denoted as p. The group is non abelian if the order in which the group elements are multiplied matters.

What are some examples of non abelian p-groups?

Examples of non abelian p-groups include the dihedral groups, the quaternion group, and the symmetric group.

How do non abelian p-groups differ from abelian groups?

In an abelian group, the order in which the group elements are multiplied does not matter. This means that the group is commutative, and the elements can be rearranged without changing the result. In a non abelian p-group, the order of multiplication does matter, making the group non commutative.

What are some real-world applications of non abelian p-groups?

Non abelian p-groups have applications in various fields, including cryptography, physics, and chemistry. In cryptography, they are used in public key cryptography systems, such as the Diffie-Hellman key exchange. In physics, they are used to describe the symmetry of subatomic particles. In chemistry, they are used to describe the symmetry of molecular structures.

What are the implications of studying non abelian p-groups in mathematics?

Studying non abelian p-groups has important implications in group theory and abstract algebra. It helps mathematicians understand the properties and structures of groups, and how they can be used to describe and solve problems in other fields. It also has connections to other mathematical concepts, such as representation theory and topology.