Is the World Trade Centre attack considered terrorism?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the 9/11 attacks can be considered an act of terrorism. One person believes that it was an act of terrorism because it was unprovoked, undeclared, and carried out by a small fringe group. However, another person questions the evidence and motives behind the attack. Ultimately, the opinion is expressed that the attack was seen as justified by the perpetrators.

Was it terrorism when the planes flew into the World Trade Centre?

• Yes

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
Adam
Was it terrorism when the planes flew into the World Trade Centre?

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted yes, because USA inhabitants were not forewarned againshis attack. It was not a formal attack, such a war declaration of another goverment. If Al Qaeda would send one thousand soldiers to New York like in a formal invasion, then N-Y inhabitants could run away and be prevented. Nobody would be working at that time.

Last edited:
I voted Yes, but it is sketchy, as far as I know we're taking it for granted that it was Osama bin Laden that did it, was there any evidence aside from that video tape of him saying it was a good thing?

Yes. It was an attack designed to create terror by a small fringe group in order to gain power over another larger more powerful foe.

This attack was unprovoked, the act of war was undeclared, and the perpetrators were not uniformed, carrying insignia or any other signal of affiliation to mark them as an enemy.

Artman said:
Yes. It was an attack designed to create terror by a small fringe group in order to gain power over another larger more powerful foe.

This attack was unprovoked, the act of war was undeclared, and the perpetrators were not uniformed, carrying insignia or any other signal of affiliation to mark them as an enemy.

Everything here looks fairly factual, except "This attack was unprovoked". That is your opinion. If you claim it is fact, must qualify it better.

I think that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Everything here looks fairly factual, except "This attack was unprovoked". That is your opinion. If you claim it is fact, must qualify it better.
Unprovoked is my opinion. In my opinion again I believe they believed that the attack was justified.

1. What is terrorism?

Terrorism is the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political, religious, or ideological goals. It is often targeted at civilians and is intended to create fear and disrupt society.

2. What are some examples of terrorism?

Some examples of terrorism include the 9/11 attacks in the United States, the 2008 Mumbai attacks in India, and the 2015 Paris attacks in France. Other examples include suicide bombings, hijackings, and cyber terrorism.

3. Who are the perpetrators of terrorism?

Terrorism can be carried out by individuals, groups, or even governments. It is often perpetrated by extremist groups with radical ideologies or by individuals who are motivated by personal grievances.

4. What are the effects of terrorism?

The effects of terrorism can be widespread and devastating. They can include loss of life, physical and psychological trauma, economic damage, and social and political instability.

5. How can we prevent terrorism?

Preventing terrorism is a complex and ongoing effort. Some strategies include intelligence gathering and sharing, addressing root causes of extremism, and implementing security measures. It is also important to promote tolerance and understanding among different groups to prevent radicalization.