Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples of terrorism: 2

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    Was it terrorism when the Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and other such cities were bombed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

I voted no on this one, only because I don't believe that it fits the dictionary definition of terrorism. It's was not found to be unlawful, it was not gang related, nor do I believe it was "political or religious or ideological in nature".
  4. Sep 15, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted no because all inhabitants of this countries knew their goverment was in war with another country. So that, they were prevented.
  5. Sep 15, 2004 #4
    I voted no
  6. Sep 15, 2004 #5
    I voted yes because it was completely unnecessary to the war, it was purely to scare the soviets.
  7. Sep 15, 2004 #6
    No. In the case of Japan, we were in a declared war, the country was asked to surrender and told that a weapon that would cause immeasurable destruction was going to be used against them. They were warned prior to the attack. Although the cities bombed were populated by a large percentage of civilians, the cities were chosen because of their military importance (manufacturing of military equipment, etc).
  8. Sep 15, 2004 #7

Science Advisor

using 4 threads...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?