Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Examples of terrorism: 3

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1
    Is it terrorism if a group attacks civilians in the course of trying to achieve some political, idealogical, or religious objective?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cannot vote here. If the civilian deaths are collateral to a formal war or invasion, sure it is done (I hope so) accidentally.

If civilian deaths are intentionally resulted as a part of an unexpected attack (i.e. WT Center 911, Beslan, Madrid 311, Moscow subway, E.T.A.'s innocent victims, I.R.A.'s innocent victims), then it is terrorism.

The terrorism is the art of killing without preventing the civil people of an attack. If I see here in Madrid the Morocco army, I will run away because you are able to identify them. A terrorist is an un-identifiable man. This is the difference.

4. Sep 15, 2004 #3
    I accidentally voted yes, could the moderator substract one from yes and add it to no :rolleyes:

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4
    I didnt vote, the question is too open-ended like Clausis said.

6. Sep 15, 2004 #5
    I voted no here, but only because the choice was limited to only yes and no. Yes does not necessarily fit the definition. No does not either.

Terrorists are cowards. They don't stand toe-to-toe with an opponent. They stand behind them with their heads covered by a hood, holding a knife to their victim's throat and telling the world that they better do what they ask or else.

Victims of the bombs that hit Japan knew who dropped them and they knew exactly why (they were told to surrender unconditionally or else the bombs would be dropped). If they chose not to surrender, they could have continued to wage war.

7. Sep 15, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't seem to have that much power. :frown:

8. Sep 15, 2004 #7

GENIERE

Science Advisor

to generate a "gotcha" 4th thread...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?