The Worst Exams We've All Been Through

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary: Needless to say, I never did well in his classes.In summary, the worst exam that I've had was in college when the professor was a notorious disorganizer and would set tests on things that he hadn't taught yet.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Inspired by the topic "Interview questions from hell" and with the final exams coming up, I'd like to ask from you what the worst exam was that you've had.

I've got a few stories that I would not like anybody else to go through:

- In discrete mathematics exam, the prof was really impossible and rude. He liked to humiliate students. So, in one exam, he asks somebody to write down every theorem he knows about graphs. There were a lot of them, but the student actually managed to write down quite a few. The professor came back and asked the student now to prove all the theorems that he had forgotten. The student failed the exam.

- In another exam, the same professor asked a student at the end to draw a large circle on the board. Then he smiled and he said: this is your grade.

- In an exam that I had about C++, we were to write a program and then defend it in front of 2 [STRIKE]assistents[/STRIKE] sadists. So they asked me an impossible thing, I didn't even understand all the terminology they used. So I said to them: "Excuse me, sir, but I'm adraid we didn't cover that in class." They responded: "We know, but we just saw that in a class, so it's a valid question." They continued with the impossible questions.

Ah well, anybody else got some hellish story? Everybody has to have one :smile: that's what being a student is all about!

Physics news on Phys.org
Uhm its only my first year so I don't have any experience like that. But what college is this? Your math professor sounds a bit crazy...

At school, we had one teacher who was notorious for being disorganized, and regularly set tests in class on things that he hadn't taught yet. His answer to any complaints was always "If I say you have done this work, then you have done it, whether you have done so or not".

1. What makes an exam "the worst"?

There are several factors that can contribute to an exam being considered the worst. These include difficult or confusing questions, lack of preparation or understanding of the material, and strict time constraints.

2. How can we prepare for the worst exams?

To prepare for the worst exams, it is important to study and review the material regularly, seek help from teachers or tutors when needed, and practice with past exams or sample questions. It is also important to manage stress and anxiety levels before and during the exam.

3. Can exams be made fair for all students?

While it is difficult to make exams completely fair for all students, there are steps that can be taken to reduce bias and promote fairness. This includes using a variety of question types, ensuring that the exam covers all relevant material, and providing accommodations for students with disabilities.

4. How can we improve the exam-taking experience?

One way to improve the exam-taking experience is to provide clear instructions and guidelines for the exam, such as how much time is allowed and what materials are allowed to be used. It can also be helpful to create a comfortable and distraction-free environment for students to take the exam in.

5. Are there alternative methods of assessment besides exams?

Yes, there are alternative methods of assessment that can be used besides exams. These can include projects, presentations, essays, and group work. These methods can provide a more holistic evaluation of a student's understanding and can cater to different learning styles.