Exceding your brain capabilility

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, Charlie Gordon is a PhD candidate who is down in the dumps because he is moving to a new city.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well i have done it, and now i feel very low, sort of having no more to offer,
not that what i offered had any value any way, it is just a rotten feeling,
that one is useless.

Physics news on Phys.org
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:
Your inputs here are very valuable. Even if you never offered a solution for others, which you do regularly, your own questions stimulate an awful lot of thinking that wouldn't otherwise see the light of day. Go have a couple of pints and cheer up.

And now my spelling is worse than before, does this mean i have reached my limit of brain activity?

Good grief, man! You're older than dirt; an occassional slip is normal. :biggrin:

What happened Wollie? Two days ago, you were bouncing off ceilings having the most wonderful day ever, and now so down in the dumps? Did you lose another drain plug?

Danger said:
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:
Your inputs here are very valuable. Even if you never offered a solution for others, which you do regularly, your own questions stimulate an awful lot of thinking that wouldn't otherwise see the light of day. Go have a couple of pints and cheer up.

If there was anyone i would like to have a pint with it is you.

Moonbear said:
What happened Wollie? Two days ago, you were bouncing off ceilings having the most wonderful day ever, and now so down in the dumps? Did you lose another drain plug?

No, i lost a most valuable thing, thaith in science.

wolram said:
If there was anyone i would like to have a pint with it is you.
Likewise, mate... but my arm isn't long enough to cheers you across the pond. Maybe Brewnog is close enough, and would be well worth spilling a few drops with.

wolram said:
No, i lost a most valuable thing, thaith in science.

Paramedics, on the double...!

Danger said:
Likewise, mate... but my arm isn't long enough to cheers you across the pond. Maybe Brewnog is close enough, and would be well worth spilling a few drops with.

Well, cheers any way, but i can not think why i am crying over the impossibilties of science.

Is this related to your engine design?

edit: I'm afraid that this is going to have to go on 'hold' for a while. I have to get ready for work now. Chin up, old boy.

Last edited:
wolram said:
Well, cheers any way, but i can not think why i am crying over the impossibilties of science.
No challenge is insurmountable, it just seems that way sometimes. Look for another avenue, preferably one with better scenery :cool: and some good bars. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Is this related to your engine design?

edit: I'm afraid that this is going to have to go on 'hold' for a while. I have to get ready for work now. Chin up, old boy.
Yep i will unill the end, cheers Danger:biggrin:

wolram said:
Yep i will unill the end, cheers Danger:biggrin:
I'll have a pint with you woolie ram. :smile:

You can have a pint with me too! :biggrin:

Soon you'll forgot about this moment. :wink:

Sorry about not getting back sooner, old bud; the internet at work wasn't working. I see that you're off-line now, so I'll catch up to you tomorrow.

wolram said:
And now my spelling is worse than before, does this mean i have reached my limit of brain activity?

Can I call you Charlie Gordon?

(See Charlie Gordon by Daniel Keys)

MadScientist 1000 said:
Can I call you Charlie Gordon?

(See Charlie Gordon by Daniel Keys)

I think you mean Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. :smile: Great book, loved it.

Who wants pints? I'm in the mood for a whole pitcher myself. :rofl: And I wish it was my brain capacity that got me down. For me, it's just packing for a move. Blah. Haven't even been able to use my brain for the past week (other than during drunken-chess). Not everything is great about getting your PhD... moving is one of them. Starting new job will be fun tho!

Curious3141 said:
I think you mean Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. :smile: Great book, loved it.

Isn't there an old :!) Steve McQueen :!) movie based on the book too?

Not quite. Initially it was a novella or long short-story (hard to tell). It was then expanded to a full novel, both of which went by the above title. The movie was called 'Charly' (with the 'y' backwards). It earned Cliff Robertson a Best Actor Oscar, and Claire Bloom turned in a great performance as the female lead.

physics girl phd said:
Who wants pints? I'm in the mood for a whole pitcher myself. :rofl: And I wish it was my brain capacity that got me down. For me, it's just packing for a move. Blah. Haven't even been able to use my brain for the past week (other than during drunken-chess). Not everything is great about getting your PhD... moving is one of them. Starting new job will be fun tho!
Wow! I hope you live somewhere like Australia or New Zealand, otherwise you're starting a bit early looking for pints (the time stamp of your post on my computer is about 5:30 AM!) :rofl:

Moving is AWFUL! Now that you have your Ph.D., get used to it, you'll do it a lot! :yuck: I'm going to have to move again next year too. :frown: The person who owns the house I'm renting is going to sell it. He offered me first dibs buying it, but I don't want to live here forever and he's asking too much for it anyway.

1. Can we exceed our brain's capability?

While there is no definitive answer to this question, neuroscientists believe that our brains have a certain capacity and it is not possible to exceed it. However, we can improve our brain's efficiency and cognitive abilities through various techniques such as brain training, meditation, and a healthy lifestyle.

2. What happens when we exceed our brain's capability?

Exceeding our brain's capability can lead to mental exhaustion, burnout, and decreased performance. It can also cause stress and anxiety, as our brains are not designed to constantly operate at maximum capacity.

3. Is it harmful to push our brains beyond their limits?

Pushing our brains beyond their limits can have negative consequences, such as cognitive fatigue and decreased mental and physical health. It is important to find a balance and give our brains time to rest and recharge.

4. How can we maximize our brain's capability?

There are various ways to maximize our brain's capability, including engaging in challenging mental activities, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and practicing stress-management techniques. It is also important to continuously learn and keep our brains stimulated.

5. Are there any risks associated with trying to exceed our brain's capability?

There is a potential risk of burnout and mental exhaustion if we constantly push our brains beyond their limits. It is important to listen to our bodies and give our brains the rest they need to function at their best. It is also important to consult with a healthcare professional before attempting to push our brains beyond their capabilities.